Quantcast
Shun blue steel Kiritsuke - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Shun blue steel Kiritsuke

Quote Originally Posted by Gravy Power View Post
    The line of knives comes from Chris Cosentino, who's been endorsing Shun's for awhile now. They make a Honuseki and a Hankotsu (which they just call a utility/butchery knife). But seriously, *** is this?

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/blue-menkiri

Maybe I'm nieve but as a professional cook, what in god's name am I supposed to do with it? And for $313.
    That knife is for making noodles

The line of knives comes from Chris Cosentino, who's been endorsing Shun's for awhile now. They make a Honuseki and a Hankotsu (which they just call a utility/butchery knife). But seriously, *** is this?

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/blue-menkiri

Maybe I'm nieve but as a professional cook, what in god's name am I supposed to do with it? And for $313.
    Cut noodles, except that it's too short.

"To make soba or udon the dough is flattened and folded, and then cut with the menkiri bocho to produce long rectangular noodles."

Quote Originally Posted by Pensacola Tiger View Post
    Cut noodles, except that it's too short.

"To make soba or udon the dough is flattened and folded, and then cut with the menkiri bocho to produce long rectangular noodles."

So now I know. But how many people in Shun's (edit: including us) target audience make their own soba noodles?

NM, question about the soba knife already answered.
    Twitter: @PeterDaEater

So now I know. But how many people in Shun's (edit: including us) target audience make their own soba noodles?
    Shun makes plenty of goofy looking knives with no purpose at all. Maybe a noodle knife gives them "street cred"

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    If you think that is weird you should seen some of the ones in Japan. Shun is just trying to expand its line.
    Last edited by Crothcipt; 05-26-2013 at 09:00 PM. Reason: answered already.
    Chewie's the man.

Jon might be the best person to answer this, though I could be wrong: does a knife that cuts fresh dove noodles need a blue steel core? I mean, how sharp and acute does the edge really need to be. In my experience, I just use...well...anything.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    Some of the utube vids. Eamon (I think ) posted last year I would say yes. That guy had like 120 layers.

Imagine that edge going dull, no thank you. btw this isn't the one I was thinking of.
    Last edited by Crothcipt; 05-26-2013 at 09:34 PM. Reason: added noodle cutting
    Chewie's the man.

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Jon might be the best person to answer this, though I could be wrong: does a knife that cuts fresh dove noodles need a blue steel core? I mean, how sharp and acute does the edge really need to be. In my experience, I just use...well...anything.
    The menkiri in this video looks to be pretty sharp, and the Monzaburo that aframestokyo sells is white #2.

Ohhhhh. Now I see. I was picturing more like making Italian noodles. This is quite different. Actually, it's just smarter. That kinda blew my mind.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com