Shun blue steel Kiritsuke

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I believe Jon of JKI got to see a few of those very early on. I'm sure they are like any of the other "special" shun: very good F&F, materials, etc. Showy aesthetic / design and a premium price.
IMO, it looks cool and I'm excited to see stainless clad carbon steel go "mainstream," but I really hate it when mfg's put that fake sandblasted kasumi finish on a their knives.

I think they're trying to appeal to folks like us. They seem legit, but sorry Shun, I'm sticking to my tried and true vedors.

I think they're trying to appeal to folks like us. They seem legit, but sorry Shun, I'm sticking to my tried and true vedors.

My thoughts exactly. Shuns just don't have the same mystique.

I've sharpened one for one of my cooks. Hefty knife. Didn't uncover any grind issues and it took a great edge. f&f very good but aesthetically unappealing to me. Felt like an fj cruiser or a new dodge charger. Recognizable as the same make but the proportions and organic feel just off a bit for me.

I've sharpened one for one of my cooks. Hefty knife. Didn't uncover any grind issues and it took a great edge. f&f very good but aesthetically unappealing to me. Felt like an fj cruiser or a new dodge charger. Recognizable as the same make but the proportions and organic feel just off a bit for me.

My 07 Charger is sad now....

DId it feel like any other blue steel on the stones? i really havent enjoyed sharpening my friends sg2 and vg10 shuns, and im not sure whether or not to blame the experience on the steel or the shun heat treat.

DId it feel like any other blue steel on the stones? i really havent enjoyed sharpening my friends sg2 and vg10 shuns, and im not sure whether or not to blame the experience on the steel or the shun heat treat.

I've never had a good experience sharpening my buddies Shuns. They feel 'greasy' on the stones...

The line of knives comes from Chris Cosentino, who's been endorsing Shun's for awhile now. They make a Honuseki and a Hankotsu (which they just call a utility/butchery knife). But seriously, *** is this?

http://shun.kaiusaltd.com/knives/knife/blue-menkiri

Maybe I'm nieve but as a professional cook, what in god's name am I supposed to do with it? And for $313.

The line of knives comes from Chris Cosentino, who's been endorsing Shun's for awhile now. They make a Honuseki and a Hankotsu (which they just call a utility/butchery knife). But seriously, *** is this?

Maybe I'm nieve but as a professional cook, what in god's name am I supposed to do with it? And for $313.

That knife is for making noodles

Cut noodles, except that it's too short.

"To make soba or udon the dough is flattened and folded, and then cut with the menkiri bocho to produce long rectangular noodles."

Cut noodles, except that it's too short.

"To make soba or udon the dough is flattened and folded, and then cut with the menkiri bocho to produce long rectangular noodles."

So now I know. But how many people in Shun's (edit: including us) target audience make their own soba noodles?

If you think that is weird you should seen some of the ones in Japan. Shun is just trying to expand its line.

Last edited:
Jon might be the best person to answer this, though I could be wrong: does a knife that cuts fresh dove noodles need a blue steel core? I mean, how sharp and acute does the edge really need to be. In my experience, I just use...well...anything.

Some of the utube vids. Eamon (I think ) posted last year I would say yes. That guy had like 120 layers.

[video=youtube;yOIsmzSzWpU]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yOIsmzSzWpU[/video]

Imagine that edge going dull, no thank you. btw this isn't the one I was thinking of.

Last edited:
Jon might be the best person to answer this, though I could be wrong: does a knife that cuts fresh dove noodles need a blue steel core? I mean, how sharp and acute does the edge really need to be. In my experience, I just use...well...anything.

The menkiri in this video looks to be pretty sharp, and the Monzaburo that aframestokyo sells is white #2.

[video=youtube;ltnij-In4Wo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ltnij-In4Wo[/video]

Ohhhhh. Now I see. :) I was picturing more like making Italian noodles. This is quite different. Actually, it's just smarter. That kinda blew my mind.

yes, every snigle noodle need to be same wide...try that with your gyuto or Nakiri
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AOrqIFJTwdc

I just read my post and I don't know what dove noodles are.

Can we get back on track, for a street price of $249 the listed knife looks good value

just curious if anyone has actually used one

Can we get back on track, for a street price of $249 the listed knife looks good value

just curious if anyone has actually used one
just so you know, you could get a tanaka for about $80 less in blue steel and a zakuri for 60-70 less also in blue 1. oh yeah, the yoshihiro store on ebay offers a blue kurouchi gyuto for alot less as well, i could go on and on...if youre looking at stainless clad carbon check out itonomon at JNS http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Itinomonn-Kitchen-Knives-s/1878.htm
theres no way i would buy something like this without trying it out first to make sure that its a comfortable knife to use. sorry, i havent used one myself but i wouldnt mind testing one. considering shuns track record, i would be skeptical:my2cents:

just so you know, you could get a tanaka for about $80 less in blue steel and a zakuri for 60-70 less also in blue 1. oh yeah, the yoshihiro store on ebay offers a blue kurouchi gyuto for alot less as well, i could go on and on...if youre looking at stainless clad carbon check out itonomon at JNS http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com/Itinomonn-Kitchen-Knives-s/1878.htm
theres no way i would buy something like this without trying it out first to make sure that its a comfortable knife to use. sorry, i havent used one myself but i wouldnt mind testing one. considering shuns track record, i would be skeptical:my2cents:

Well, theoretically, he was inquiring about the kiritsuke versus a gyuto or some other style of knife in blue steel.

Now, I'm not sure if the Shun piece is a traditional kiritsuke possessing the single bevel versus what you would find on, say, Takeda's or Moritaka's or most of the products being offered as "kiritsukes", which are simply sword tipped shaped gyutos. However, in looking at the Shun unit, I'm inclined to believe that it's a double bevel and it does possess a gentle upsweep at the forward 1/3 of the blade, so it's really not what one would consider a functioning "true" kiritsuke, either as a traditional single bevel or double bevel gyuto type.

The one comparative piece that comes to mind is the Takayuki Grand Cheff 260mm kiritsuke in the AEB-L Swedish stainless steel, which can be found for approximately the same street price as the Shun Blue item, with the Takayuki being a traditional single bevel blade. Most of the other true kiritsukes are pretty pricey from what I've seen, running in the neighborhood of $350+. As well, true single bevel Japanese kiritsukes possess a much narrower profile than what people expect from a main usage chef knife. I don't know if a short profiled, long, single bevel knife is what a lot of us Westerners would pick up first in the kitchen to do most of our work with.

I personally use a 240 mm kiritsuke styled gyuto quite a bit, nearly on a daily basis in the kitchen. I've found that it's a pretty well rounded knife in terms of rapidly transitioning from a veggie prep blade to protein slicer. The flatter profile takes some getting used to, but I enjoy it even when I'm doing a lot of prep work on veggies or slicing a bunch of protein. (I did have to remove the forge slag kurouchi finish to have it be more effective when working with proteins and the 240mm length isn't enough on the larger cuts of meat, which usually has me switching over to a 300mm pro-style Shun slicer as the rounded tip prevents me from constantly inserting a sharp point into my left hand when I'm booking through 200 flanks or tenderloins.)

And I'm not sure what you mean by Shun's "track record." Other than attempting to appeal to a wider range of potential customers and subsequently bringing more people into the concept and usage of traditional Japanese style blades/steels, I don't see the reason for the stated skepticism. I've enjoyed some of their products a lot (the previously mentioned 300mm pro slicer and their bread knife are excellent). No, they aren't hand made, but a lot of people will take consistency and quality over exclusivity.

However, to answer the OP's original question:

A 250mm kiritsuke style gyuto in blue steel that has a mirror polished stainless cladding, a wa handle, potentially very good to excellent fit and finish and an accompanying saya for $250? Sounds pretty good to me.

My 07 Charger is sad now....

I had a feeling I might be hearing from you on that one. :)

To clarify, I like the knife and I like dodge chargers but I just know if I was actually out shopping I wouldn't come home with either of them.

If I could be even half as picky with cars as I am with knives....

The shun was comparable on the stones to the few other blue steel knives I've played with (tanaka, moritaka). By far the best shun I've handled.

This thread is making want to look into Kiritsukes now.

I hate shuns, I loathe them. But I actually like the profile of that knife. I prefer a kiritsuke over a gyuto in general, thinner, better control and more dexterity. But I wouldn't go with a shun if that is what you are looking for. There are better makers with kiritsukes at a comparable price to that. I can't really think of any in blue steel off the top of my head as I try to avoid it, I'm not a fan of blue.

Well, theoretically, he was inquiring about the kiritsuke versus a gyuto or some other style of knife in blue steel.

Now, I'm not sure if the Shun piece is a traditional kiritsuke possessing the single bevel versus what you would find on, say, Takeda's or Moritaka's or most of the products being offered as "kiritsukes", which are simply sword tipped shaped gyutos. However, in looking at the Shun unit, I'm inclined to believe that it's a double bevel and it does possess a gentle upsweep at the forward 1/3 of the blade, so it's really not what one would consider a functioning "true" kiritsuke, either as a traditional single bevel or double bevel gyuto type.

The one comparative piece that comes to mind is the Takayuki Grand Cheff 260mm kiritsuke in the AEB-L Swedish stainless steel, which can be found for approximately the same street price as the Shun Blue item, with the Takayuki being a traditional single bevel blade. Most of the other true kiritsukes are pretty pricey from what I've seen, running in the neighborhood of $350+. As well, true single bevel Japanese kiritsukes possess a much narrower profile than what people expect from a main usage chef knife. I don't know if a short profiled, long, single bevel knife is what a lot of us Westerners would pick up first in the kitchen to do most of our work with.

I personally use a 240 mm kiritsuke styled gyuto quite a bit, nearly on a daily basis in the kitchen. I've found that it's a pretty well rounded knife in terms of rapidly transitioning from a veggie prep blade to protein slicer. The flatter profile takes some getting used to, but I enjoy it even when I'm doing a lot of prep work on veggies or slicing a bunch of protein. (I did have to remove the forge slag kurouchi finish to have it be more effective when working with proteins and the 240mm length isn't enough on the larger cuts of meat, which usually has me switching over to a 300mm pro-style Shun slicer as the rounded tip prevents me from constantly inserting a sharp point into my left hand when I'm booking through 200 flanks or tenderloins.)

And I'm not sure what you mean by Shun's "track record." Other than attempting to appeal to a wider range of potential customers and subsequently bringing more people into the concept and usage of traditional Japanese style blades/steels, I don't see the reason for the stated skepticism. I've enjoyed some of their products a lot (the previously mentioned 300mm pro slicer and their bread knife are excellent). No, they aren't hand made, but a lot of people will take consistency and quality over exclusivity.

However, to answer the OP's original question:

A 250mm kiritsuke style gyuto in blue steel that has a mirror polished stainless cladding, a wa handle, potentially very good to excellent fit and finish and an accompanying saya for $250? Sounds pretty good to me.

really, i cant tell if the op was interested in the shun because a) it has a kiritsuke tip or b) its made of blue steel or c) its stainless cladding
i listed knives with better track records and in the case of zakuri and itinomonn much better customer support and that are much cheaper
i think you will find plenty of skepticism around here concerning shuns heat treat track record and inherent difficulty in sharpening both its vg10 lines and sg2 lines. FWIW, i sharpen knives from both of these steels by this maker for my friends all the time, it can be done, but as a knife knut i must say i dont enjoy it. but if that isnt the case with this blue steel line, well then good for you guys maybe shun is taking a step in the right direction.
if you want a stainless clad, blue steel, kiritsuke tipped, massed produced chef knife that comes with a saya for $249 then please by all means accept no other substitute and go with the shun blue steel. I was only attempting to demonstrate there are other fish in the sea.

Back