Quantcast
konosuke zdp189 gyuto
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: konosuke zdp189 gyuto

konosuke zdp189 gyuto

This is interesting. I recall reading something about zdp189 being a new super steel.

http://www.This Site Not Allowed Here.com.com/ko24gyzd.html

Would you buy this for 700?

At this price, fit and finish becomes quite important for me and from the picture on CKTG, I can't say I'm very overly impressed. On the other hand I know next to nothing about the steel. Presumably, its made in the typical thin konosuke geometry, so that shouldn't be an issue.

Would anyone be kind enough to buy one and post their thoughts?

I don't know about supersteel and that's quite a premium for ZDP-189 considering the old Zwilling Miyabis where made with ZDP-189 and it only cost 200 dollars. ZDP-189 is similar to Cowry-X and SG2 in composition so you are going to get very good where wear resistance but it can be chippy if it is hardened too high.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

9.5" miyabi 7000MC are selling for 179 bucks now. I might pick one up and try to rehandle it.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

Thats awesome. You're a self-enabler, and I had nothing to do with it.

that's a lot of cabbage.

I think Konosuke has surpassed the point of diminishing returns with that knife. Their white #2 or HD line gives you maximum cutting and edge retention for about 1/3 the price.

The Miyabis are clad, the Konosuke is a monosteel knife. The only other place I've seen ZDP monosteel was as an option with Suisin dreamcraft and those who asked for a quote got 4 digit answers.

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    The Miyabis are clad, the Konosuke is a monosteel knife. The only other place I've seen ZDP monosteel was as an option with Suisin dreamcraft and those who asked for a quote got 4 digit answers.
    That is interesting but now I wonder about the heat treat. One of you freaks needs to buy one and report back.

Quote Originally Posted by bob View Post
    I had nothing to do with it.
    The battle cry of enablers everywhere!

The Konosuke ZDP monosteel was offered on some Canadian site a few months ago and they had a $ 1000 + price tag on it and stated something like HRC 68 for the first knife but noted that the smith would take the following production 1-2 points down...

+ Reply to Thread