Quantcast
konosuke zdp189 gyuto - Page 3
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: konosuke zdp189 gyuto

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    Also, the profile is different from the regular Konosuke profile. I have always disliked the looks of the Konosuke profile, like the tip is up too high and it has too much belly. The profile on my Sakai bluewayjapan gyuto is very similar and it has too much belly. But these ZDP Konosukes (The ones from CKTG, not the Tosho Knife Arts version) have a much different profile. Almost more like an Aritsugu A-type.
    I'm not seeing it the way you descibe - to me CKTG ZDP profile looks the same as the HD - different than pics I see of A-Type on CKTG and other sites. Hard to tell from just pics sometimes...

This is the profile I think of when I hear Konosuke:

This is the ZDP:

They look different to me. Like I said, I havent owned either of these. But the ZDP looks like the edge runs parallel to the spine, where the first one the edge is not and constantly angling up towards the spine. Some HD Konos I looked at appear to be more like the ZDP than the White one. Maybe it is just me.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyChance View Post
    $6k is a lot of knives and stones. Couldnt you have just run a garden hose through the window?
    That was my initial reaction. My wife thought it was a joke.

Quote Originally Posted by rockbox View Post
    You can't compare Canadian prices and US prices. Everything costs more in Canada.
    Generally yes but my konosuke from Tosho knife arts was cheaper than the us online shops.

Tosho Knife Arts has good prices for Canadian buyers on a good portion of their selection. I checked out a few items, and in general it works out to be just a bit less than what it would cost to order from the US and ship up here. Of course, there's tax and if you're not in Toronto there's domestic shipping to add on as well.

I'm not sold on the ZDP version of the Konosuke gyuto for myself, but I'm glad the option is out there.
    Len

65 or 68 seem painfully hard. Does any one have a knife out of ZDP, if so how difficult is something that hard to sharpen? I have always thought my limit to be in the low 60's,, but then again I am relatively new to this.

I have a cermax at 66hrc. It's no problem whatsoever to get blazing sharp.

Quote Originally Posted by kalaeb View Post
    65 or 68 seem painfully hard. Does any one have a knife out of ZDP, if so how difficult is something that hard to sharpen? I have always thought my limit to be in the low 60's,, but then again I am relatively new to this.
    I have a Spyderco ZDP189 Delica...solid ZDP189 before they started cladding them. I, in my stupider years, decided it needed thinning. I don't know what Spyderco had for a HRC on that knife, but I promise you thinning that 3.5" blade was just about the worst knife adventure I ever had. Essentially I removed the hollow grind to the blade and made it a flat bevel. Cuts like a freaking dream now and is one of two pocket knives I've kept amongst them all. But I wouldn't ever do it again. The most wear resistant steel I've ever encountered. To make a honyaki yanagi (or other single bevel knife) from ZDP189 or Cowry-X and put the HRC up over 62 would be extremely silly IMHO. In a gyuto where you're grinding a much smaller bevel, it's not bad....especially when clad like the KD's are. This knife, if you ever had to thin a lot of it....well, let's just say I'd rather not.

oooooooooo it is tempting, but realistically how much is performance going to differ from a standard konosuke?

That's what your KMG is for.

Quote Originally Posted by watercrawl View Post
    I have a Spyderco ZDP189 Delica...solid ZDP189 before they started cladding them. I, in my stupider years, decided it needed thinning. I don't know what Spyderco had for a HRC on that knife, but I promise you thinning that 3.5" blade was just about the worst knife adventure I ever had. Essentially I removed the hollow grind to the blade and made it a flat bevel. Cuts like a freaking dream now and is one of two pocket knives I've kept amongst them all. But I wouldn't ever do it again. The most wear resistant steel I've ever encountered. To make a honyaki yanagi (or other single bevel knife) from ZDP189 or Cowry-X and put the HRC up over 62 would be extremely silly IMHO. In a gyuto where you're grinding a much smaller bevel, it's not bad....especially when clad like the KD's are. This knife, if you ever had to thin a lot of it....well, let's just say I'd rather not.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein