Thread: Kitchen Knife Recommendations

Kitchen Knife Recommendations

Chicago

KNIFE TYPE
    What type of knife are you interested in (e.g., chef’s knife, slicer, boning knife, utility knife, bread knife, paring knife, cleaver)?
    Chef's knife.

Are you right or left handed?
    Right handed.

Are you interested in a Western handle (e.g., classic Wusthof handle) or Japanese handle?
    Either.

What length of knife (blade) are you interested in (in inches or millimeters)?
    8 inches.

Do you require a stainless knife? (Yes or no)
    Would prefer a stainless knife.

What is your absolute maximum budget for your knife?
    $150-175. Because it's a gift, I'd be willing to go somewhat over.

KNIFE USE
    Do you primarily intend to use this knife at home or a professional environment?
    Home

What are the main tasks you primarily intend to use the knife for (e.g., slicing vegetables, chopping vegetables, mincing vegetables, slicing meats, cutting down poultry, breaking poultry bones, filleting fish, trimming meats, etc.)? (Please identify as many tasks as you would like.)
    Slicing, chopping, mincing vegetables.

What knife, if any, are you replacing?
    Very cheap.

Do you have a particular grip that you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for the common types of grips.)
    Hammer grip.

What cutting motions do you primarily use? (Please click on this LINK for types of cutting motions and identify the two or three most common cutting motions, in order of most used to least used.)
    Chop, Drawing motion, Rock

What improvements do you want from your current knife? If you are not replacing a knife, please identify as many characteristics identified below in parentheses that you would like this knife to have.)
    Something that is much sharper and remains sharp for as long as possible. Something lighter weight would also be nice.

KNIFE MAINTENANCE
    Do you use a bamboo, wood, rubber, or synthetic cutting board? (Yes or no.)
    Bamboo and synthetic.

Do you sharpen your own knives? (Yes or no.)
    Currently no, but I think he would with a nice knife.

If not, are you interested in learning how to sharpen your knives? (Yes or no.)
    Yes.

Are you interested in purchasing sharpening products for your knives? (Yes or no.)
    Yes.

SPECIAL REQUESTS/COMMENTS
    Hi all! I'm hoping to purchase a new kitchen knife as a gift for a somewhat experienced home cook. He currently has only cheap knives. He's also a vegan, so he won't be cutting meat or fish. Thanks in advance for any input/advice

Welcome to the forums

What you've mentioned doesn't narrow it a lot, but I'll give a couple suggestions for some of my favorites (and often recommended) in this size and price range.

1) Masahiro MV-H 210 mm gyuto

2) Takamura R2 210 mm gyuto

The Masahiro is very comfortable lighter chef knife but still good for all around use, and the MBS-26 stainless steel it uses is a great balance between toughness (resisting chipping) and edge-holding. The Takamura is a laser and downright scalpel-like, and the R2 powder metallurgy steel is one of the best steels for edge-retention, and can also get sharper than the Masahiro (which itself will be much, much sharper than what the recipient of your gift will be used to), but the Takamura's super thin edge and harder steel is more susceptible to being damaged, and it needs to be treated with more care. You said the intended recipient is somewhat experienced, but used to very cheap knives, so I would tend to lean towards the Masahiro. Alternatively consider a Tanaka VG-10 (Japanese handle), or possibly the Takamura VG-10 Nashiji (Western handle).

Administrator
    There are a couple three knives in your price range that I'm happy to recommend. I've used each and liked them, they are all "mid weights" not laser thin but not heavy, they are all popular on this forum and they all meet your requirements. Any of them would make a very nice gift.

The Ininomonn is a house brand of Japanese Natural Stones. http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...10mm-wa-gyuto/ JNS is in Denmark and offers free shipping beyond a certain price threshold.

The Gesshin Uraku is a house brand of Japanese Knife Imports in LA. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...nless-wa-gyuto

The Tanaka Ginsanko is an upgraded version of a Tanaka and is available from Knives and Stones. I like all three of the knives cited. I own this one. http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanak...-ebony-handle/

There are others as well. Good luck in your search.
    Older and wider..

Quote Originally Posted by daveb View Post
    There are a couple three knives in your price range that I'm happy to recommend. I've used each and liked them, they are all "mid weights" not laser thin but not heavy, they are all popular on this forum and they all meet your requirements. Any of them would make a very nice gift.

The Ininomonn is a house brand of Japanese Natural Stones. http://www.japanesenaturalstones.com...10mm-wa-gyuto/ JNS is in Denmark and offers free shipping beyond a certain price threshold.

The Gesshin Uraku is a house brand of Japanese Knife Imports in LA. https://www.japaneseknifeimports.com...nless-wa-gyuto

The Tanaka Ginsanko is an upgraded version of a Tanaka and is available from Knives and Stones. I like all three of the knives cited. I own this one. http://www.knivesandstones.com/tanak...-ebony-handle/

There are others as well. Good luck in your search.
    Thank you! Very helpful.

Thank you!