Quantcast
konosuke zdp189 gyuto - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: konosuke zdp189 gyuto

Oh, I didn't realize it was monosteel. That's definitely sexy...

HRC 68 seems freakishly hard to me. Waiting on a review here lol.

OMFG!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    The Miyabis are clad, the Konosuke is a monosteel knife. The only other place I've seen ZDP monosteel was as an option with Suisin dreamcraft and those who asked for a quote got 4 digit answers.
    This was my first thought/response to people who are saying this is expensive. I too remember the link to the Canadian site where the ZDP-189 was $1K+... and hardness of 68, with the maker knocking it down a couple points, etc...

If I'm not mistaken, this is the only stainless powdered mono-steel knife on the market...

This is quite literally my perfect/dream knife (the 270 job) - outside of a custom BB and/or DT. My Yusuke 270 gyuto has quickly become my new favorite go-to knife - I've got no complaints with it. But as always I'm looking/thinking of something better. My dream knife would be D-wa handle (not a fan of octagon), laser, mono steel, powdered stainless and hard - 64+. The only other thing I would do differently on this Konosuke would be the handle option on CaddyJ's new 270 suji (don't care for light ho wood)...

If I could do it, I would in a heartbeat and have it here tomorrow!!! Alas, it's not in the cards for me right now. Maybe if I unloaded about 4 of my other relatively-new knives I could, but too attached to them...

Quote Originally Posted by Rottman View Post
    The Konosuke ZDP monosteel was offered on some Canadian site a few months ago and they had a $ 1000 + price tag on it and stated something like HRC 68 for the first knife but noted that the smith would take the following production 1-2 points down...
    Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post
    This was my first thought/response to people who are saying this is expensive. I too remember the link to the Canadian site where the ZDP-189 was $1K+... and hardness of 68, with the maker knocking it down a couple points, etc...
    Tosho Knife Arts

Looks way nicer than the CKTG version too. But I guess you could buy the CKTG version and get it rehandled for about the same price.
    "God sends meat and the devil sends cooks." - Thomas Deloney

I like the fact that they knocked down the hardness so the knife isn't prone to chipping. I'm also fairly sure that you can order any Konosuke with any handle that they offer.

I might pick this up with my tax return...

Also, the profile is different from the regular Konosuke profile. I have always disliked the looks of the Konosuke profile, like the tip is up too high and it has too much belly. The profile on my Sakai bluewayjapan gyuto is very similar and it has too much belly. But these ZDP Konosukes (The ones from CKTG, not the Tosho Knife Arts version) have a much different profile. Almost more like an Aritsugu A-type.

I think I see one of these in my future... Unfortuntaely, not the near future. Just had to pay $6k to do an unplanned shower replacement. That was not good for my knife budget...

$6k is a lot of knives and stones. Couldnt you have just run a garden hose through the window?

Quote Originally Posted by mpukas View Post

If I'm not mistaken, this is the only stainless powdered mono-steel knife on the market...
    Almost every knife Pierre makes fits this description and so does the Richmond Remedy.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein

You can't compare Canadian prices and US prices. Everything costs more in Canada.
    "Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results." --Albert Einstein