What's Wrong with Going Off Topic?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
I figure this is the forum to post this in, so here it is: why do people get so bent out of shape over a thread going off topic? If it's getting silly, or ridiculous, then yes, I agree - get back to the point. However, I've seen it countless times, and it always pisses me off when someone gets their noses out of joint over a tangential conversation. This is how we learn a lot of new information, techniques, etc and it's just the natural flow of communicating with others. I'm the kind of guy who can sit in a coffee shop, or on a patio for hours, talking with the same person, and you know what? I like it!

Maybe next time a thread goes askew we should all just stop replying at all, and kill the thread.

Speaking of thread, I often find myself marveling at Nike's Dry-Fit material, because it feels incredibly soft and tightly knit. I've wondered if it might be a very fine, yet high thread count, unlike Adidas' which seems to hurt my nipples when I run. Actually, a funny thing happened the other day, when I was running. I really had to burp for about the first kilometre (.6 miles), but the burp wouldn't come up. FINALLY, I let out a huge belch and I swear, I felt 10 pounds lighter. Anyway, the weirdest part is, it kinda tasted like vanilla ice cream, but I hadn't had any ice cream in over a week! This got me thinking, "is it still ice cream if it's melted, or is it now just vanilla flavored milk"?

I agree. I too am a "coffee hop sitter" and hate when people get their panties wadded up over the direction of a conversation changing.

Your story made my morning, and directly shows the flow people get bitchy about.

Anyone going to a parade today? Hope the nipples are ok. :D

Gotta put some Band-Aids on those nips lefty!

Use some tape to cover those nipples, I heard it works well.

I suppose it's about balance and common sense. I can easily tolerate and often even enjoy diversions, meanderings, tangential thoughts, asides, ventings and downright loony guffaws. I like it when a discussion grows sort of organically rather than be constricted to the straight and narrow as prescribed by the OP. But it has to have some sparkle or new information or that 'something' to offer to the mix.

However as a newcomer to this forum there have been times I've been frustrated when doing some back reading on a certain topic only to find that the thread had been shunted very early on away from the tagged topic to a totally different direction altogether. So from an archival point of view it might appear to be lacking in discipline if threads veer off topic often enough to irritate.

I also think the general quality of the 'talent' in any forum is important. The higher the 'talent' the more latitude it can afford without going stupid. It seems to me that on KKF the 'talent' is evident not only in the expertise but also in the level of behaviour and respect that most members show for each other. So, if a thread sometimes take the long way home, well so be it, I can enjoy the ride.

Now you'll have to excuse me, I have a beautiful foot long lotus root waiting for me on my cutting board . . .

I was friends with a guy that called 911 because he thought he was having a heart attack. Ambulance came, put him on a stretcher and that jolt caused him to burp very loudly and long. He felt fine afterwards. A little gas goes a long way.

“How do you feel about frilly toothpicks?” “I’m FOR ‘em!”

You wouldn't believe some of the calls I've had. I can't give details, but think "extra large slushee, 5 taquitos, bike ride home", for one.

The funny thing about the sore nipples is, I'm not one of those dudes with huge ones. I do know a few guys with gynecomastia, and I've wondered how they exercise without taping them down. But that's neither here nor there. But, then again, where are we talkin about, anyways? I assumed Canada.

A Møøse once bit my sister ...

No realli! She was Karving her initials on the møøse with the sharpened end of an interspace tøøthbrush given her by Svenge - her brother-in-law - an Oslo dentist and star of many Norwegian møvies: "The Høt Hands of an Oslo Dentist", "Fillings of Passion", "The Huge Mølars of Horst Nordfink".

I figure this is the forum to post this in, so here it is: why do people get so bent out of shape over a thread going off topic? If it's getting silly, or ridiculous, then yes, I agree - get back to the point.
I like the silly ridiculous off topic stuff myself. sometimes we take ourselves a little too seriously and it shows from time to time in these threads. nothing kills the animosity in the room like a touch of off topic silliness.
That being said, is anybody else dissappointed with the direction Mad Men has taken this season? And I was waiting around all last night for the new Game of Thrones episode to come out so I could download it, but to no avail. Did they take a week off or something? Im about to sit back, relax, and dive into season 4 of arrested developement.

You should cut nipple holes into all of your jogging gear Lefty. Function over fashion, and you'll get a little more ventilation to boot. No more sweaty nips!

What I really want to know is why they don't sell popcorn on a thin skewer. All them grease on my hand is causing havoc! Also, I've been wondering if I put nutritional yeast on my popcorn, whether that will cancel the heart-clogging ability of the popcorn. The nutri-yeast combined with the skewer could revolutionize popcorn stands at the movie theatres.

What I really want to know is why they don't sell popcorn on a thin skewer. All them grease on my hand is causing havoc! Also, I've been wondering if I put nutritional yeast on my popcorn, whether that will cancel the heart-clogging ability of the popcorn. The nutri-yeast combined with the skewer could revolutionize popcorn stands at the movie theatres.

Excellent. :goodpost:

Lefty, your post reminded me of this one time when I kept trying to daydream, but my mind kept wandering.

You guys ever get chafing in your shorts when you exercise?

i see where your going with this...maybe cut a hole in your jogging shorts while youre at it? full custom jogging gear!
i use fancy jogging shorts that have built in underwear, sorta like swimming trunks which reduces any chances of potential chafing.

I get that when I'm teching a show sometimes. Especially when I'm climbing in and out of my bucket a lot and when I'm climbing to the catwalks and down dozens of times a day.

As for nipples - I used to have that problem sometimes when I was a carpenter. I wore suspenders on my tool belt and they would rub through my T-shirt when it was hot. Especially when we were framing, sheathing and rocking - especially over head.

I did not sign up for the forum to talk about motorcycles! Butt now that the topic has come up, Allstate insurance, the company that the woman who knocked my bike down has(had?) has finally settled with me after almost 3 weeks! And they are paying me full value for my bike! And I found an even better example of the bike on Craigslist! I am going to see it tomorrow!

Now that's great news, Spike!

I miss Dan Rather.

Hey wait a minute - is that Stipe fella wearing a Commie T-shirt in that thar video?

Radio Head was on ACL the other night . . . I had to turn it off.

Thread jacking sucks when someone says something useful and unrelated to the original topic but later on you can't find it.

Latest posts

Back