Quantcast
let's hear your "how to pick a sweet watermelon" tips.

Thread: let's hear your "how to pick a sweet watermelon" tips.

let's hear your "how to pick a sweet watermelon" tips.

summer is here!! at least where i live. those mega pallets of watermelons are showing up, and i bet i eat one a week.

tips? love to hear your strategy.

i go by:
    heavy with a big yellow "earth" spot.

my dad swore by bug scratches and he was a thumper. i've seen old ladies sniffing them (?).

when i was young, i got a woman telephone number over a discussion at the watermelon pallet. hehe.

I'm a thumper. And I like seeded melons better than seedless. My mother & grandmother always said to wait until the 4th of July (in the SE US) for melons to really get good ones.

My great uncle was a farmer and grew melons. My mother used to tell stories of going out to the melon patch and eating the hearts out of a bunch of melons, then feeding the rest to the pigs. Sounds like heaven to me!
    Now is not the time to bother me. And it's always now. Wiley Miller

Quote Originally Posted by Lucretia View Post
    I'm a thumper. And I like seeded melons better than seedless. My mother & grandmother always said to wait until the 4th of July (in the SE US) for melons to really get good ones.

My great uncle was a farmer and grew melons. My mother used to tell stories of going out to the melon patch and eating the hearts out of a bunch of melons, then feeding the rest to the pigs. Sounds like heaven to me!
    best tasting chickens it melons too
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Mmmm . . . melon fed pig finished on acorn . . . sends a shiver down my spine.

I smell. Not sure what I'm actually looking for, meaning I can't describe it, but always works for me. Big scratches too, not holes or pita, just scratches.

I like a little salt on mine, co-workers think I'm crazy
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

[QUOTE=Lucretia;211089] I'm a thumper. And I like seeded melons better than seedless.

I thump and prefer seeded ones as well. BUT I have no idea what I'm listening or feeling for when I thump! I kinda like thumping melons, find it strangely satisfying. Plus it makes me feel like I know what I'm doing. Generally I go for heavier ones but sometimes when the juice content is too much I find some melons sort of soggy. I like it when the texture between pulp and juice is just right.

So, when you thump what are you listening for?

I eat one or two a year and only buy them from roadside stands in the middle of the season. Haven't got a bad one yet, and totally in agreement about buying those w/seeds only.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

mmmm...with salt!!

i like to use a real chunky gray salt. the texture of the melon is really complimented with the minerally crunch of the big salt chunks. love it.

In my country we check a few signs in order to decide if it's ripe:
    1. Tap it and hope to hear a hollow sound.
    2. Try to pull the stem. If it's easy enough to tear it off than it's ripe.
    2. Choose a watermelon that have a yellow mark on one side. (this is the side that touched the ground).
    3. Bright green color means that the watermelon is unripe.

Souli

thanks for the tips. Buying one tomorrow. Serving it seasoned with nuac cham.