Difference between Kono Gyuto and Kono Funayaki/Gyuto?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bechler

Reaction score
Does anyone know what makes these two Kono HDs different? Thanks

The Funayaki is a much flatter profile and it is slightly thicker knife as well.

I dunno about the thicker. I think there is just some variation in general, esp with regard to taper. My original KonHD was on the thick side at the tip. It took me a while to figure out why it didn't perform the way I expected it to.

The Funayaki is listed as 2.44mm and the HD2 as 2.1mm, in regards to their thickness.

I've own(ed) them both, the difference in spine thickness is undetectable without measuring. Even still, I would expect a lot if variance from knife to knife within the same series.

I have the kono funayuki and my Sous Chef has the Kono gyuto and we held them side by side trying to figure out the differences, couldn't find many. Granted mine is brand new and his has been sharpened several times so that may have made the profiles more similar, but the only real difference we could see was the profile of the spine was different, the cutting edges were very similar. Both are great knives. YMMV.

The Funayaki is listed as 2.44mm and the HD2 as 2.1mm, in regards to their thickness.
You don't seriously think Mark or anyone else measures every knife to 2.44 mm. I would say 0.3 ish mm is within tolerance. He probably picked out the first knife in the box and published the measurements straight away.

Very true, but in my defense I said "slightly" :evilgrin:

Back