• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Tanaka SG-2 Ironwood Nakiri

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lucretia

Reaction score
This is a beautiful knife, and if there was room for drawer queens at my house, I'd keep it just to look at it. But I've decided that knives need a point on the end, so time for this one to go.

It's very lightly used, but not in brand-new condition, although it does come in the original box and with a certificate of authenticity. I did't like the way it felt going through food, so the damascus got polished down a little and there are some scratches from an attempt at a little bit of thinning (next to last photo). The damascus isn't as dramatic now, but the knife cuts better IMO.

Asking $360 shipped & insured, CONUS.

Nakiri6.jpg

Nakiri8.jpg

Nakiri9.jpg

Nakiri7.jpg

Nakiri10.jpg

What is the length of your Nikiri? Really good looking knife glws!

Beauty !
I'm guessing it's a 165mm. I don't know if I've seen this Tanaka in a 180mm.
GLWS

Sweet knife. I got to play with a tanaka santoku a few years ago and it's still one of the prettiest knives I've ever held. If i hadnt just bought a $400 nakiri....

My Kazuyuki Tanaka suminagashi gyutos (both 210 and 240) with wa handles are the thinnest laser-like powdered steel knives in my collection. That nakiri is a looker. If only it were wa-handled...

Surprised this is still here. For someone no longer with us, this knife is really cheap for a great blade.

Surprised this is still here. For someone no longer with us, this knife is really cheap for a great blade.

What? no more Tanaka? I didn't know... That's very sad....

I really have no way of justifying buying this, but I'd love to check it out, so it whoever buys this would like it thinned, polished, and then re-etched and sharpened, I'd be happy to do it just for the chance to fondle this sweet little thing.

Yeah, Tim is right. Shigeki is making them now, and dare I say it, might have even more skill than his talented teacher/father.

No, not available. When it didn't get snapped up right away, I started using it again. Why did I ever want to sell this knife? :D

Back