Quantcast
Wine geek turning knife geek
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Wine geek turning knife geek

Wine geek turning knife geek

My wine cellar is full...even the floor is now covered with cases...two options...get more storage space or find new obsession...my wife doesn't understand (do they ever?). At least the knife world has me cooking all of the time which she appreciates.

My first decent J-knife was a Shun Classic 8" Chefs. Still like it and it takes and holds a good edge.

Bought myself and Edge Pro w/ Choseras so now I'm obsessed with sharpness too. Learning to strop on newspaper. Like that too for maintainance.

Awaiting my Hattori KF 240 Gyuto and Misuno Moly 130 Petty.

Want/Need a suji and paring. Advice welcome but thinking of the Carbonext 270 suji as an entry into the carbon world.

Probably need a psychiatrist too.

Cheers-Matt

Welcome, Matt!

I can't help much with advice on sujis, but I can definitely relate to having a few too many wines around and probably a few too many knives as well
    Len

Looks like you've got a drinking problem - not drinking enough?

Welcome Matt!

Welcome I can totally relate to having too many bottle of wine laying around though I've cut down on drinking to feed my knife collection haha. As for sujihikis, ever considered the Fujiwara FKH for carbon?

I made the switch a while back, as well. Knife collecting is a much cheaper obsession and when you use them they don't disappear (at least not very quickly). CarboNEXT would be a very nice suji but it is really closer to stainless and "carbon." If you really do want something in carbon steel (virtually no chromium), get something in a Hitachi or Swedish steel. They don't stink too much.

I am still nursing both passions: wine and knives. I even do most of my wine shopping via the internet, so my 'happy' packages come both big and small. The wine hobby is much, much more expensive if you drink it and don't store it (that much). The hidden cost with knives though is the time spent on forums like this, sharpening, and doing all sorts of other knife stuff. You can drink wine with your wife, but she probably won't sit by your side while you sharpen.

k.
    "In Japan they don't call it Japanese food, they just call it food." -- Children's Hospital Quote

Well, my girl does none of the above haha. Except maybe if I pop a Sauternes or Muscato...

thanks, fellas.

I hear you. I have sold some bottles recently to fund knife purchases...no paper trail if not new cash...

cheers--cutting stuff for fajitas with my hattori whilst drinking a carlisle syrah....heaven.....

Quote Originally Posted by MadMel View Post
    Welcome I can totally relate to having too many bottle of wine laying around though I've cut down on drinking to feed my knife collection haha. As for sujihikis, ever considered the Fujiwara FKH for carbon?
    Do you own one? It looks decent and is wicked cheap! Nice reviews too. Looks like it might be worth a shot.

-M

Hey, welcome. I gave up my 800 bottle cellar when I moved from Germany to Hawaii Can't have it all, I guess. Have fun with the new addiction.

Stefan

+ Reply to Thread