kidney stones and cooks.

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

franzb69

Reaction score
It's no surprise that cooks often get kidney stones. I'm currently in a hospital after squirming in pain. It seems a stone blocked up my bladder. One of the most excruciating experiences I've ever had.

Currently in a hospital gown waiting for my ct scan results and diagnoses. Went to the e.r. this 5am.

This is gonna be expensive. Healthcare here is nonexistent and private hospitals are only after your cash.

Gonna probably undergo shock wave therapy again. Last time it was 5 -6 years ago.

You guys better watch out for kidney stones.

That was one of the things that contributed to me getting out of the business. I feel for you man.

yeah, I pissed a pea sized one once, hurt so, bad I puked and then passed out. Not fun. On the plus side it was the only one in there.

Pro cooks often use more salt than people who cook at home.

Then there's the fact that we'd never listen to our doctors to cut down in the fat, salt and sweets.

What's a cook that doesn't cook without flavor?

Thanks guys.

Not really salt, mostly organ meats, high protein foods, high oxalate foods such as spinach, rhubarb and wheat germ and dehydration and genetic predisposition., Travis your screwed. (bacon, Ham. Tongue, Liver, Kidneys and other cured meats)

Probably more to do with not staying well hydrated. Drink more water.

I drink lots of water all the time. All I drink is water and fruit juice. No soda, no alcohol, nothing

I had one last year. Woke up in agony and immediately did what any sensible person would do - googled the symptoms.
It was either a kidney stone or testicular torsion. It's amazing how fast you can drive to the ER when you think one of the boys may be at stake....

I was also horrified to see just how small it was when passed. 2-3mm. Felt like such a wimp. Can't imagine a pea-sized.....
I truly feel for anyone who has or had or will have one.

I haven't had one (knocks on wood) in ten years, but it was awful. Puking was the least of it. I've been obsessively hydrating since then. Even then it can sneak up on you, one of the guys I worked with had high blood pressure, was taking medication for it, and the medication dehydrated him to the point where he had to be hospitalized. You can think you are taking care of yourself and still have the terrible consequences. My thoughts go out to you FB, I wish I knew something to do aside from hydrating. If the docs tell you any tricks to avoid this pain, and missed work, please share!

Cranberry juice. When I was in the Army hospital there was a guy who had a catheter into his bladder, and he wouldn't drink the cranberry juice, so the thing would clog up. Then the docs would remove the tube and jam another one in. Each time it happened they were less gentle, and you could hear it all over the ward.
Cranberry juice! Drink it!

kidney stone sucks.... so sorry to hear that. Let's hope it'll never happen again!

Well ct scans came in last night. I have a 2.5mm stone in my bladder that wants to pass. Which is what was giving me the pain in my left side. They also found another one on my right that's still in my kidney. That one needs to get shockwaved. After an overnighter like this, I ain't waiting for it to get down to my urinary tract and pass. I'm still having pains at the moment.

Hydrate whenever I can, as much as I can. I eat cranberries when I can find any. I also try to look out what I eat and whatnot.

Thanks everyone. Gonna get out of the hospital today and will schedule the procedure soon as I can get to it

I suspect that the lemongrass essence and water I have been taking is aggrevated the situation. Since it's a powerful diuretic. I just didnt think it would be this soon and this painful. =(

This'll put a damper on my wanting to take up butchery for a bit.

Probably more to do with not staying well hydrated. Drink more water.

Yup, good advice! I only had a small kidney stone once and it was on a crazy busy day. It definitely happened because I didn't drink enough water. Luckily mine was really small so meds broke it up and I didn't have to piss it out. Still hurt like a ***** though, I was on Oxy for 3 days.

I have drop two stones...the second time was worse....I truly feel your pain

have you guys had your stones analyzed? Are they calcium based? Or monsodium urate? If the latter, have you ever had gout?

Almost all kidney stones are calcium oxalate.

Almost all kidney stones are calcium oxalate.

Not true, up to 30-40% can can caused by and overproduction or underexcretion of uric acid. the same metabolic disorder that is resposible for gout, or a monosoduium urate arthrothopy commonly found in the feet or knees, otherwise known as gout. Psuedogout can also occur in the knees, which primarily consitsts of calcium pyrophosphate crystals and the inflammatory reaction to them.

If it is in fact monsodium urate, you can make dietary changes, such as ingesting less purines (organ meats, shellfish or beer). Otherwise there are very cheap medical alternatives are available.

i had mine analyzed. mine are calcium based ones. never had gout.

=D

I hate having gout. It is more confusing than anything else I have ever encountered. When looking up information you get the standby line of talk with your doctor. It's a kidney problem that is also a part of arthritis.

Yep gout sucks. Got it when i was 30, which is the exact age my dad, uncle and grandad got it too. While it can be largely hereditary, diet can control it. Unfortunately booze is a big one which is why i will probably get it forever! Funny, lying in agony, its easy to swear off booze, but when your healthy its easily forgotten....

Calcium for me. There is a cheap drug that helps and seems to have few side effects. I was also given a list of foods to avoid that are high in purinal. Asparagus and chocolate, and others; but I hate to give up that chocolate asparagus.

i quit drinking as my father is an irepairable alcoholic (he claims to have "quit" but keeps sneaking a few bottles here and there).

i told myself i would never want to be like that. but then, we can't tell until we get there.

i too love asparagus. =(

ever since i got stones i have cut down heavily on my intake. but this time ever since early this year, i have stopped cold turkey. i'd rather have knives and SHARPENING stones than kidney stones. =D

It's tough to stay hydrated on the line during service. Depending on what station you're working, you either sweat it all out, or you have to hold it through service-which can be seriously painful!-Or Both!
I know I'm going to have one or 2 or 3 of these in my life and I'm not looking forward to pebbles or boulders coming out of my peepee hole!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Latest posts

Back