Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sauce reduction/storage question

sauce reduction/storage question

Hi

Please forgive me if this is a stupid question but im going ask anyway.

I love to make saucees by reducing a balsamic vinegar with some fruit then smoothing it out in a vitamix, ie ill take 2 parts water, 1 part balsamic with cranberries a few seasonings then simmer until i get a 70% or so reduction to nice thickness then blend. I love this on fish etc, my problem is that once it gets cold it solidifies. Id love to be able to keep it in a squeze bottle for use over several days in a similar manner to day ketchup.

Is there a technique to hepp it in a liquid form ?

Any advise on what im doing is gratefully appreciated, im not a big recipe guy i tend to just make stuff up !!

Alan

Dont reduce it so much.It does tend to thicken as it chills,to test your consistency put a teaspoon on a plate and pop it in the fridge until cold.If it is too thick add a little boiling water-too thin reduce a little more.Alternatively warm the squeezy bottle in a pot of warm water before use.You could also experiment with thickening the sauce with a gel such as Xanthan gum or similar.

yeah, what he said. If you are using fruit such as berries they tend to be high in pectin which is going to be a natural thickening agent. It is what makes jams and jellies set.
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

I was thinking can Xanthan gum too

May I ask why your adding water?

You can check the glace of a sauce by dipping a spoon in. Run your finger through the coating sauce; if the sauce drips past the finger mark, reduce more; if it stays separated, it's good to go. Will set beautifully when brought to room temp.

And it's a vinegar based reduction; should be OK held at room temp...
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Just warm it up prior to plating the and leave it room temperature.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

Quote Originally Posted by Line cooked View Post
    I was thinking can Xanthan gum too
    I'd use agar agar instead. Once agar jells if you blend it it won't solidify again but rather keep a syrup like consistency that gets thiner when warm, gets smother the minute it hits your mouth.

Agar it's great but does have a bit of algae umami flavor to it, which might not be bad with seafood. But once it sets and then is agitated vigorously in blender it does make for a nice fluid sauce with good texture. I'm also confused as to why you're adding water only to reduce "it out". One could argue to hydrate the dried fruit (cranberries) but in that case just use cranberry juice. Also, they'll hydrate (rehydrate) just fine in balsamic alone. And I also believe you're reducing it too far, as it tends thicken once you chill it. If you're getting the perfect viscosity right after its pureed, then just cut back on reduction time.

If I might suggest,86 the water, add more vinegar and/or good cranberry juice, simmer just until fruit softens, puree then chill. Once sauce has set, sheer in some xamthan gum and blend to desired thickness. You can add xam. to the puree while it's hot, but this won't allow you to take in the natural thickening of the chilled vinegar, or a fruit's natural pectin.

I'm bigger fan of the natural acidic flavor of a good balsamic rather than the sweeter reduced stuff, so at work we take straight balsamic from the bottle and thicken it with the xan. I like using xanthan gum over others because of the micro bubbles it creates and holds. Just remember, out doesn't take a lot- a little can go a long way!

Quote Originally Posted by ThEoRy View Post
    Just warm it up prior to plating the and leave it room temperature.
    That's what I do. I like the consistency and it doesn't run. But I use a demitasse spoon to drizzle.

I'm anti chemical.

Maybe try subbing OJ for the water. Orange plays beautifully with cranberry, and the added natural sugar will also help to thicken quicker.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com