Bought our first House

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bprescot

Founding Member
Reaction score
Well, it looks like we've pretty much bought our first house. After an inspection report that detailed out nearly $70K in repairs, we were able to work something out with the seller. And most of the repairs (Roof, Retaining Wall, Foundation Underpin) can be done after close, but prior to our move-in...

Good news is that after WAY too much research, while money might be tight with all the required repairs (and extra loans it will require) for the first few years, when we sell the house, that $70K should yield a nice return... Unless the market crashes again... Or further, or ... whatever... Sh!t. Now I need a drink.

Well, here's to a Bank owning your soul! Prost! :beer:

Congrats, and hopefully the renos/fixes go reasonably smoothly :)

Congrats, don't worry about the "worries". It is a natural reaction to the first big buy.

Congrats Ben - there's no place like a home you own.

Congratulations! Being a homeowner can be a real joy....best of luck to you and yours in your new home.

Congratulations. That first night is always a mix of This is really mine! and What's that noise? Enjoy.

don't forget, "oh sh1te!! I have to pay for this for 30 years!?" :dazed:

LOL. It's even worse actually... we took out a 7/1 ARM! I'll either need to sell in 7, or refinance... meaning I'd be paying for 37 years!!

Congratulations! enjoy your new house

LOL. It's even worse actually... we took out a 7/1 ARM! I'll either need to sell in 7, or refinance... meaning I'd be paying for 37 years!!
Congrats! And that 37 years is not necessarily true -- you can refi at that time (or any time earlier) and get into a 25 yr loan, or a 20, or a 15, etc. Each time you refi try and cut a year or two off the remaining years if you have the income. of course this advice is contrary to those who maintain you should not have any of your own money tied up in the house, so go w/ a long term each time you refi and invest the equity. But with the stock market crashes, etc. I'd rather own my house.

Congratulations, but no pics?

k.

Only have one right now

New%2520House.jpg

It's got a pretty front anyway ;)

In addition to the huge repair bill, unfortunately, there's no real backyard to speak of, just a front yard right at the corner of two streets with "meh" light. In addition to knives and cooking my other hobby is gardening which this house isn't really ideal for... But it's in a nice town, a quick ride in to NYC, and once we do the repairs and are ready to sell in a few years, we will hopefully be able to make some money off of it.

The kitchen was redone recently, however. They've got some new appliances in there and they put in some low-grade granite or marble or some such countertop. Everything looks nice I suppose (just not my style, honestly) but aren't really made for performance... But still. At least I don't have to re-do the kitchen unless I really WANT to. And the LAYOUT of the kitchen is actually pretty damn good. It's got plenty of storage and counterspace, and while there are seats for an Eat-In/Congregation area, it's OUT of my working area. I hate guests crowding me as I'm trying to cook.

So the kitchen is set. And it also has bedrooms. Kitchen and Bedroom... That's all I really need in a house ... The rest is just crap I have to vacuum and keep clean ;)

Love it! Unusual and classic at the same time.

nice house!! i like it.

buying a home was the best and worst decision ever. hahah..the repairs rattled my feeble nerves.

but i bought a shack.

So the kitchen is set. And it also has bedrooms. Kitchen and Bedroom... That's all I really need in a house ... The rest is just crap I have to vacuum and keep clean ;)
My list of 'must-haves' includes bathrooms. But I admittedly never was into camping, etc., so self-fertilizing the garden has never been high on my list of things to do. :lol2:

My list of 'must-haves' includes bathrooms. But I admittedly never was into camping, etc., so self-fertilizing the garden has never been high on my list of things to do. :lol2:

Kitchen has sink, garbage disposal, and pull out sprayer-ma-jiggy... Geez man, why you need something so FANCY?

Nice Tudor. I grew up in a similar style house in Teaneck, then tenafly! Enjoy.

Nice -- congrats!

We've got a contract pending on a new place, and are selling our current home (been here ~12 years). Exciting, but super stressful.

Back