Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Egg White Puree

Egg White Puree

So recently at school I was sitting in on the critique of the final exam for one of my classmates. His first dish was a take on ham and eggs, which included prosciutto and a sous vide egg yoke. One of the persons giving feedback was a recent graduate, who said he would have liked to see him use the egg white. Possibly an egg-white puree. Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? Am I crazy to think that a cooked protein is in no way water soluble? The student doing the cooking was extremely successful in his exam, but the suggestion of the egg-white puree has been bugging the hell out of meme.

The alleles created by mutation may be beneficial

Proteins do tend to lose their water solubility when they are denatured and like to form hydrophobic aggregates.

I don't see why you would want an egg white puree, but why does the puree have to be done with water? You could do it with fats.

eww, just eww.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    eww, just eww.
    +1
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    eww, just eww.
    +2
    pretty lame suggestion. if the goal is to find a use for the egg white, ideally in a restaurant setting the white would/could be saved and used for another dish, probably a dessert.

it could have been a suggestion for a more solid state of puree like a soft peak whipped egg white with some sort of flavor in it. maybe tarragon or something of the sort would taste good with ham and egg yolk. or brown butter
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

or just fry it in bacon fat with crispy edges??

Whip it to peaks, dollop into a non stick and let it souffle while lightly Browning on the bottom to create "omelette soufflé"? Or pan fry it, steep some dairy with flavoring like parm rinds then strain, add to fried whites, puree it and pass it, charge it in one of those tiny IS I and call it "fried egg foam, mousse, espuma or whatever.

But I do think that's a lame critique. If it were a suggestion then less lame, but still slightly lame. If it were a question used to test the students knowledge (in regards to waste/use of excess product) then totally acceptable

I'm guessing he was suggesting going the fluid gel route.
    The AI does not love you, nor does it hate you, but you are made out of atoms it might find useful for something else. - Eliezer Yudkowsky

That may be gross