Quantcast
First Rehandle
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: First Rehandle

First Rehandle

Far from perfect but a lot of fun to do. And more comfortable for me than the original handle. Done only with knowledge from this forum, so thanks to everyone who's posted how to advice.

By the way, what is this wood? I got it out of the scrap bin at Woodcraft for $2. It looked exactly like wenge before I sanded it and it is very heavy and very hard. Does wenge turn this color or is this something else?

Looks great. Kept that classic look too. Was this with all hand tools?
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

Quote Originally Posted by Jmadams13 View Post
    Looks great. Kept that classic look too. Was this with all hand tools?
    No drill press, but I did turn a hand held belt sander upside down and lock it in place which worked pretty well. Drilling pin holes gave me way more confidence in Forgecraft's steel because that took a long time and killed several bits, even after heating to dull red.

I recognize that! Nice work, my man!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

[QUOTE=theLawlCat;211577]Far from perfect but a lot of fun to do. And more comfortable for me than the original handle. Done only with knowledge from this forum, so thanks to everyone who's posted how to advice.

By the way, what is this wood? I got it out of the scrap bin at Woodcraft for $2. It looked exactly like wenge before I sanded it and it is very heavy and very hard. Does wenge turn this color or is this something else?

Could well be Wenge. It does get lighter with time.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.

This one came from ebay and really did need a new handle, it was loose and disgusting underneath. Left this handle nice and thick but kinda messed up on the back and had to round it a little bit more than I wanted. This is fun, highly recommend trying rehandling.

Rosewood maybe? Again, from the scrap bin.

Done with this project. Bullnose with some really nice mango from burlsource.

.What are you using to polish the blades-they look fantastic.

150 grit to get the crud off, then I think my progression was 220, 400, 600, 800, 1200, 1500, 2000 grit wet dry sandpaper. I wasn't going to go up so high but the high polish looks really cool on the rolled pattern part of the blades. Definitely not a perfect mirror finish and I didn't get all the pitting and imperfections out, but I think these blades looks better with character.