Quantcast
Wa handle Removal
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wa handle Removal

Wa handle Removal

Ive seen videos from maxim on removing wa handles that are just burnt in. Seems simple enough. My question is how do u proceed if the handle was epoxied for the whole tang? or burnt in then filled with epoxy and saw dust/ash to cover/seal the gaps in the tang hole? Any help appreciated. thanks

Are you aiming to keep the original handle intact?
    Huw
    In order to make delicious food, you must eat delicious food. Jiro Ono

if at all possible. the original is a nice ebony octagon handle? hoping to reuse it on something else

Boil it. I've done it with Konosuke and it works. Just take your time, it took me about 30 minutes. Do not keep your handle in boiling water for to long. If you hold the heel of the knife you will know temperature so you will not destroy temper. Then use Maxim way of removing handle. So boil and hammer it, boil and hammer.

It is impossible to damage the temper with boiling water. Most epoxy should soften around 140.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Sponsors
    with epoxy, its very difficult to save the handle, and for natural woods, the boiling is not ok in the long run either

Sponsors
    i actually never try to boil a handle :P But it may work hehe, i will dont think that it will be good for ebony I usually just chisel handle out.

I had a handle that was not quite straight so I heated it with boiling water until the epoxy softened and it came right off after I hammered on the end of the chisel that I paced on the side of the handle.
    Spike C
    "The Buddha resides as comfortably in the circuits of a digital computer or the gears of a cycle transmission as he does at the top of a mountain."
    Pirsig

Sponsors
    but a handle with that much water will be useless after... might as well just break the handle off

What about wrapping the handle and part of the blade on layers of plastic wrap to knee it dry, just getting the heat?
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

+ Reply to Thread