Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Soon we'll all have Chinese speaking pigs...

Yes, it's to bring US pork to China. I was mislead by the topic title. You can also read about it in the NYT. Overdemand in China? Or is this caused by a shortage in China because of whatever's blighting the piggeries? Some incredibly horrific photos of masses of carcasses in the rivers there. "More pigs than fish in the river" was a quote by a fisherwoman there.

I heard this on the radio and thought " Meet the new boss, same as the old boss". Ask the US govt to stop subsidizing corn prices and factory farms will be unable to afford to feed their stock, as well as encouraging farmers to back away from monocropping

Buy local and know who produces your food. That's your best bet, though expect to pay higher price.

Chinese farm-raised salmon (and Chinese farm-raised seafood in general) is another thing I would stay away from.

As long as operations are on the US soil, they will be subject to US regulations, so that at least will be some sort of assurance for safety of meat.

M

"All beauty that has no foundation in use, soon grows distasteful and needs continuous replacement with something new." The Shakers' saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

anything edible (if it really is edible) from china i stay away from.

Quote Originally Posted by franzb69 View Post
    something we can agree on as well. aside from practices, i'm not even sure it even gets followed 90% of the time all the time.
    wait..aren't you in the Phillipines? how would you know?

i was just joking about the USDA tying to be sarcastic. but didnt they virtually eliminate trichinosis in the US pork supply? and they set guidelines for fridge temps
    they dont completely suck do they? maybe i need to re-read upton sinclair's book. heheh.

i wonder what this will do to our pork prices? the demand just got larger. china LOVES porky goodness.

The demand for pork didn't change due to an ownership change at Smithfield.

I spent almost five years butchering, or watching someone else butcher two to five pigs a week. The inside of a commodity pig makes you want to never touch pork again. The inside of a pig from a small farm, that was raised well is a thing of beauty. I am totally disgusted by the American meat packing industry.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    The inside of a pig from a small farm, that was raised well is a thing of beauty. That's quite a statement. Please elaborate. How do they differ, specifically?

One is farmed catfish, the other is top grade tuna. The stuff you run into in a commodity pig is horrific. Stop reading now if you are easily grossed out, please. Tumors for one. In those years maybe ten percent of those hogs were commodity, zero percent for the last three, and almost all of the commodities had tumors and infected lymph nodes, none of the well raised pigs had infections, maybe three or four had tumors. A quality hog smells good and has firm lightly marbled muscle. Think of a mushyass Smithfield loin from the grocery store. They are like that off the pig, it isn't something that happens in cryovac. Push it with your thumb and it compresses. A top quality loin will give them bounce back. One is a faberware Walmart knife, the other a DT.