ECG - WIP Harner/McLean Parer

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lefty

Canada's Sharpest Lefty
Reaction score
Butch and I have been designing a new parer, based on parers that flat out work. After a lot of testing, we determined the parer to beat is, surprisingly, a classic: the Sab Nogent.

Butch and I took this knife as our inspiration, and he let me fly with it. The result is a paring knife made out of some of the best, stainless we know of. In fact, it takes such a keen and stable edge that it's being put into Butch's razors.

For anyone going to this year's ECG, Butch is going and he's bringing this badboy along for everyone to try out. You will be able to get them on my site, following the ECG.

Here are some pics:

My Sketch

3D7C2A5D-617B-493F-84B2-EC4392D91EFA-11329-00000EC1F442D97B.jpg

The rough shaped blade. You can see the handle was lengthened, by Butch

F6D779CC-AA6D-49DF-BEA1-536CD1EEEB93-11329-00000EC24C075B5C.jpg

Some grinding, prior to HT.

CA0879F0-8E8B-485E-B578-05F180FD4D58-11329-00000EC261E9AE7D.jpg

Almost there.

069698CE-9C77-436D-8A24-EAE7F0D54B0C-11329-00000EC269E9E412.jpg

Thanks for looking, and as I mentioned earlier, this knife is our modernization of the Sab Nogent parer. Slightly different profile, much nicer steel and HT, and a way cooler handle! The fact that Butch, the grinding machine is making these doesn't hurt, either. :D

Liquid Nitrogen. One more temper to go.

CCF3D108-C312-45C1-B34D-0D2399EB3D9C-11519-00000EDB10057656.jpg

I wish it were mine...you'll have to ask Butch. I'll find out, for you. :)

The dewar is direct from Taylor-Wharton. That was quick. :)

It is going to be a badass little knife!

Here's some bulk removal.

233AA359-747B-49D3-8959-2628666CFE46-242-0000002909ACF40E.jpg

And hollow ground on a 4' platen, plus belt finished.

2193A3F6-03BF-4D5D-B967-E0A3E5B0389F-242-000000291E4AF9AB.jpg

Handles should be done tonight! :D

Still figuring out our numbers, but these will hopefully be an item that is regularly available. :D

Almost done. Claro Walnut Burl for a handle. It's sexy, unassuming, and pure business!

D20558A6-E0B8-433D-A4B9-9EA298203738-242-00000032A00B0DEE.jpg

I don't usually get excited about parers..... but that one looks great!

I definitely need one of those! It sure looks great, can't expect anything else from you and Butch!

I'm liking this profile adaptation/translation a lot. Looking fwd to seeing this come Sunday

Saw that parer in person at ECG. Looked very good and felt good in hand. Good job designing it.

Marko, your opinion means a lot, and reading this has given me a great start to the day. The fact that you're impressed tells me I'm doing something right (more than half of which is teaming up with Butch). I've felt the parer is one of the most ignored knives out there, and until I spent some time in Portugal, I flat out ignored them. One moment that changed my opinion was when I was in the kitchen of my wife's uncle's very well respected restaurant, and the entire staff was taking their break, while peeling potatoes and cubing them, directly into 10 quart pots, with nothing but a paring knife. It stuck out. The other factor that developed my strange obsession with the "perfect parer" is being married to a Portuguese woman who could likely carve a turkey with hers. :)

Again, thanks for the comments, Marko!

It's a small knife, so one will end up using it primarily in a hand, not on the board, and the profile is pretty suitable for that. Handle felt very comfortable. So in short, for what this knife is intended (about 2" of blade work), I think it's a very good design, good steel and good feel.

M

I really liked the parer, thought the blade profile was on point. The only thing I would change/modify would be to taper the handle where it meets the blade. I feel like it would "fall into" the hand and have a more natural feeling grip if the handle were just thinned a bit there.
I personally think the handle could be a little longer too, but that's just my own taste and could potentially defeat the purpose of this knive's function. If I were to order one these would be my 2 requests. Overall I think you and Butch have created a winner with this and will no doubt sell several here on the forum! But that's kind of a given considering the two gents behind this project!

Yep, it's always good to get advice on those little tweaks to the profile, grind, HT from the pros. I have done pretty well getting help from you guys and would recommend same to you Tom and Butch.

Thanks, guys. The handle was left fatter, with the intention of seeing if people liked it as is, or with some thinning. I like the idea of adding some taper to the front, so it's definitely a real option. I think we'll likely keep the handle length where it is, at 100mm, or so, but getting this to ECG was largely to get real time feedback from some serious guys. So, thank you!

Back