Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: What's Wrong with Going Off Topic?

What's Wrong with Going Off Topic?

I figure this is the forum to post this in, so here it is: why do people get so bent out of shape over a thread going off topic? If it's getting silly, or ridiculous, then yes, I agree - get back to the point. However, I've seen it countless times, and it always pisses me off when someone gets their noses out of joint over a tangential conversation. This is how we learn a lot of new information, techniques, etc and it's just the natural flow of communicating with others. I'm the kind of guy who can sit in a coffee shop, or on a patio for hours, talking with the same person, and you know what? I like it!

Maybe next time a thread goes askew we should all just stop replying at all, and kill the thread.

Speaking of thread, I often find myself marveling at Nike's Dry-Fit material, because it feels incredibly soft and tightly knit. I've wondered if it might be a very fine, yet high thread count, unlike Adidas' which seems to hurt my nipples when I run. Actually, a funny thing happened the other day, when I was running. I really had to burp for about the first kilometre (.6 miles), but the burp wouldn't come up. FINALLY, I let out a huge belch and I swear, I felt 10 pounds lighter. Anyway, the weirdest part is, it kinda tasted like vanilla ice cream, but I hadn't had any ice cream in over a week! This got me thinking, "is it still ice cream if it's melted, or is it now just vanilla flavored milk"?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I agree. I too am a "coffee hop sitter" and hate when people get their panties wadded up over the direction of a conversation changing.

Your story made my morning, and directly shows the flow people get bitchy about.
    "This is grain, which any fool can eat, but for which the Lord intended a more divine means of consumption.. Beer!" -Robin Hood, Prince of Thieves, Friar Tuck

I prefer to ride my bike.
    once in a while you get shown the light, in the strangest of places if you look at it right

Anyone going to a parade today? Hope the nipples are ok.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Gotta put some Band-Aids on those nips lefty!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Use some tape to cover those nipples, I heard it works well.

I suppose it's about balance and common sense. I can easily tolerate and often even enjoy diversions, meanderings, tangential thoughts, asides, ventings and downright loony guffaws. I like it when a discussion grows sort of organically rather than be constricted to the straight and narrow as prescribed by the OP. But it has to have some sparkle or new information or that 'something' to offer to the mix.

However as a newcomer to this forum there have been times I've been frustrated when doing some back reading on a certain topic only to find that the thread had been shunted very early on away from the tagged topic to a totally different direction altogether. So from an archival point of view it might appear to be lacking in discipline if threads veer off topic often enough to irritate.

I also think the general quality of the 'talent' in any forum is important. The higher the 'talent' the more latitude it can afford without going stupid. It seems to me that on KKF the 'talent' is evident not only in the expertise but also in the level of behaviour and respect that most members show for each other. So, if a thread sometimes take the long way home, well so be it, I can enjoy the ride.

Now you'll have to excuse me, I have a beautiful foot long lotus root waiting for me on my cutting board . . .

I was friends with a guy that called 911 because he thought he was having a heart attack. Ambulance came, put him on a stretcher and that jolt caused him to burp very loudly and long. He felt fine afterwards. A little gas goes a long way.

“How do you feel about frilly toothpicks?” “I’m FOR ‘em!”

You wouldn't believe some of the calls I've had. I can't give details, but think "extra large slushee, 5 taquitos, bike ride home", for one.

The funny thing about the sore nipples is, I'm not one of those dudes with huge ones. I do know a few guys with gynecomastia, and I've wondered how they exercise without taping them down. But that's neither here nor there. But, then again, where are we talkin about, anyways? I assumed Canada.
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com