Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ipad/Ipad mini

Ipad/Ipad mini

I was wondering if anyone owned one of these and would provide some info on them. I was looking at getting one due to I see there are alot of apps that are not made for android systems anymore. If anyone is looking to sell one please let me know.

John
    Respect all Fear none

I've owned both the iPad 2, the newer iPad and a Samsung galaxy tab. I much prefer the iPads and I'm in the market for a iPad mini 3G myself. My iPhone contract ended recently and to me owning an iPad mini and an iPhone almost seems redundant. So I'll probably get a cheapie pay as you go phone for calls and texts and use the iPad mini for everything else I do on the go.

What apps aren't made for Android any more? It's by far the largest mobile OS in the world right now, if anything app makers should be flocking to it.

I've done a lot of digging on this topic and plan to go with an iPad Mini when my Nook kicks it. I like the 7" version b/c it's much easier to have with me all the time. the 9" is too big for my bag and costs considerably more.

Craig: apps are MUCH easier to develop for iPhone and a lot of companies view the iPhone owners as a much more desirable market segment. (whether they are right is a separate fact.) iOS owners are also generally more loyal to the platform than android (according to the studies I've read).
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Yeah, the one complaint I have about the regular sized iPad is that is awkward to type on. I mean, you could get a detachable keyboard but that defeats the purpose to me.

Quote Originally Posted by labor of love View Post
    Yeah, the one complaint I have about the regular sized iPad is that is awkward to type on. I mean, you could get a detachable keyboard but that defeats the purpose to me.
    I think there is a keyboard mode on the iPad to split the virtual keyboard in two, and push each half to the left or right side to make it easier to thumb type.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

Quote Originally Posted by Craig View Post
    What apps aren't made for Android any more? It's by far the largest mobile OS in the world right now, if anything app makers should be flocking to it.
    why would developers flock to an ecosystem that spends little money and buys few apps?

Quote Originally Posted by Zwiefel View Post
    I think there is a keyboard mode on the iPad to split the virtual keyboard in two, and push each half to the left or right side to make it easier to thumb type.
    yup, just hold down the little keyboard icon, and the option to undock and to split appear.

I had the Ipad one and then bought the mini. Very happy with it, much easier to just throw into a bag and take with me. If I had to do it gain, I would get the 4G one, though. I have a little hotspot device to dial in with my laptop or Ipad on the road, but I seem to forget that thing at home or forget to charge it too often... I like that the mini is lighter since I use it a lot for reading in bed. But it's still just large enough to use it for surfing etc. I hardly ever watch videos etc, so the retina display is secondary for me. If that is one of your things, I would wait for the next generation.

Stefan

My wife has an Ipad 1, which we got on launch week. It is great for couch surfing and general portability. We have really enjoyed it. Things I do not enjoy about it are more apple based than anything. The control they have over the iOS and store is a little extreme, but I like to tinker with my electronics. Obviously the price is absurd especially since the tech in them isn't even top of the line, they do use nice displays though, however Samsung has a oled display that looks better. I am not sure which apps you're concerned about but I don't really use to many of them so my android phone is fine for that. The only thing I wish it had access to is the sous vide app someone developed.

I do enjoy the tablet sector though because I can drag it to the kitchen to read an article or watch a video of a technique or into the bathroom while I change a sink drain. Both of which have happened and been immensely helpful. If you are going to be carrying it around alot I'd go for the mini and if you just plan to use it at home and like the screen size the regular version.