Quantcast
Shigefusa help - Page 4
+ Reply to Thread
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Results 31 to 40 of 75

Thread: Shigefusa help

  1. #31
    Senior Member EdipisReks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Cincinnati, Oh
    Posts
    3,483
    i haven't had a huge problem with oxidation on my Shigefusa. i put a semi-mirror polish on mine, though, which probably helped. i love the knife, especially now that i have it ground to my satisfaction. no idea how it cuts compared to the ITK. i choose it over my Konosuke and my Mizuno, both of which i have sharpened to the same keen-ness. it feels right, cutting. my only remaining stainless gyuto is my Hattori FH, and all of my carbon knives get sharper than that. no idea how AEB-L compares to well tempered VG10.

  2. #32
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    101
    OK, so this thread took off since I last checked, hah. Thanks everyone for the advice so far, it's been real informative. I'm thinking of possibly going with a wa since they look amazing with Marko's handles, sig cheaper, and it has that Japanese look-if that makes any sense, more so then the western. Does anyone know if the kitaeji has a different reaction then the kasumi to foods. How does the damascus hold up to a patina-does it continue to show through? Also, any opinions on how these compare to Carter's? I'm asking since i know CKTG will be getting the carters in soon in white steel. Thanks again,
    JP

  3. #33
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    1,246
    Shigefusa steel is better than White IME, better edge retention and gets just as sharp.

  4. #34
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,227
    Quote Originally Posted by lancep View Post
    I find the ITK edge tends to roll over a bit faster when hitting the cutting board.
    That's interesting. I found the same thing the first couple of times I sharpened. I was actually pretty disappointed in that respect. I really haven't had the same issue since (although it's been a while. i've been too busy testing other knives.).

  5. #35
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,227
    Quote Originally Posted by mainaman View Post
    Shigefusa steel is better than White IME, better edge retention and gets just as sharp.
    In terms of edge retention, I'd have to agree. I can't really tell a difference in edge keeness, either.
    With regard to VG10, I've tried several different flavors and it never really measures up in the keeness category with other good steels.

  6. #36
    Marko Tsourkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    4,092
    Quote Originally Posted by tk59 View Post
    In terms of edge retention, I'd have to agree. I can't really tell a difference in edge keeness, either.
    With regard to VG10, I've tried several different flavors and it never really measures up in the keeness category with other good steels.
    Anybody wants to send their knife for a steel analysis so we can finally solve the mastery of 'spicy' steel Iwasaki so found of?

    M


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

  7. #37
    Senior Member

    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    San Diego, CA
    Posts
    4,227
    Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    Anybody wants to send their knife for a steel analysis so we can finally solve the mastery of 'spicy' steel Iwasaki so found of?

    M
    I'd love to, if it doesn't cost too much. I'd rather give my $$ to knife makers/peddlers at this stage. So much to try out!! You have a place in mind?

  8. #38

    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Omaha, NE
    Posts
    199
    I found the damascus more reactive than the material used in the kasumi cladding. The kitaeji would rust before I was finished using it. Actually turned orange in under 30 minutes.

  9. #39

    RRLOVER's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    FIB
    Posts
    1,127
    Quote Originally Posted by JPizzzle View Post
    Also, any opinions on how these compare to Carter's? I'm asking since i know CKTG will be getting the carters in soon in white steel. Thanks again,
    I have owned 5 shigi's and the carter HG in superblue that I own out performs any of them.Edge retension is just a silly subject for a home cook like myself,it take me way to long to dull a knife

  10. #40
    Marko Tsourkan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Westchester, NY
    Posts
    4,092
    Quote Originally Posted by RRLOVER View Post
    I have owned 5 shigi's and the carter HG in superblue that I own out performs any of them.Edge retension is just a silly subject for a home cook like myself,it take me way to long to dull a knife
    I agree. However, a good performing knife is a like a good performing car. You might have to put us with 65 m/h limit, but you want to know that it can go 130m/p or faster.

    For knives edge retention, you have to ask pros. Collin (Nilloc) is a good reference for testing performance knives.

    I will be doing a test for Shigefusa some time later. It will be bases on Wayne Goddard rope cutting test to measure edge retain-ability and toughness of the blade. The blade will be sharpened to 3-5K and the rope will probably be .5".



    M


    "If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

    If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

+ Reply to Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts