Quantcast
Shigefusa help - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Shigefusa help

Don't like reactivity, don't want to worry about patina, don't buy carbon. Or get a cheaper one and see how you feel first.

Nothing worse than buying an expensive knife you plan to use, only to have it sitting rusting away in a drawer. If you plan to buy it just to have it and sharpen it once in a while and use it to kill a patch of hair on your left forearm, or a stack of A4 paper you have lying around... then by all means?

I had the chance to handle a couple of Shigefusa's when I ate at Salty's and I have to admit they are incredibly well finished. Now at the same time so is my Devin Thomas ITK 270mm Gyuto. Shigefusa's have this lore about them being difficult to get, incredibly well finished and also amazing performers. I just ordered one and when I get mine I'll let you know what I think of it. I really don't think you can go wrong with a DT, a Shige, a Yoshikane, hell any number of great knives being manufactured in Japan and here in the states will keep you happy. Take some time, continue to do some research and then open up that wallet and have some fun.

P.S. Carbon is not a big deal at all. Keep in mind the retailers and manufactures are quick to add the scary disclaimer because they need to in order to protect themselves. I use carbon knives daily and as long as you wipe them dry after you finished cutting you will never have a rust problem.

With shigs it's not so much the rust as the black sludge.....
    I have a couple of carbons and my shig was the worst offender until the darhoek patina was built

Sponsors
    I really dont know why all this fuzz about reactivity of Shigs... i never had this problems, and never build a patina on them ether. Just wash them with hot water and thats it !
    About performance and cutting abilities i never meat a knife that cut so well !! and so thin behind the edge like Shigi is. Balance and thickness of the spine to the edge is just perfect and very hard to beat. So for me its just best performer out there !
    And not to talk about they FF thats just flawless !

One can find weaknesses in every knife, regardless how famous is the maker. It all depends how much they bother you.

M

"If there’s something worth doing, it’s worth overdoing.” - An US saying.

If my KKF Inbox is full (or not), please contact me via Email: anvlts@gmail.com

One of these days, I will do a rope cutting test for a Shigefusa gyuto to analyze an edge retention and steel toughness and compare it with knives made from other steels, such as 52100, AEB-L, W-2 and so forth. Hopefully this will help to dispel myths and take the discussion from the realm of personal opinions into a realm backed by data. I also will do a separated test for a cutting surface, to see how much eng-grain surface extends cutting a ability of a knife.

M

PS: Note that my preferences for Shigefusa over other makers is based on their superior grind, fit and finish, and not on other factors, such as sharpness, edge retention and so forth. I think these factors are necessary for a full picture.

Marko: Feel free to compare it to my knives The Carter you can abuse when you get it in a week

Quote Originally Posted by Marko Tsourkan View Post
    One of these days, I will do a rope cutting test for a Shigefusa gyuto to analyze an edge retention and steel toughness and compare it with knives made from other steels, such as 52100, AEB-L, W-2 and so forth. Hopefully this will help to dispel myths and take the discussion from the realm of personal opinions into a realm backed by data. I also will do a separated test for a cutting surface, to see how much eng-grain surface extends cutting a ability of a knife.

M

PS: Note that my preferences for Shigefusa over other makers is based on their superior grind, fit and finish, and not on other factors, such as sharpness, edge retention and so forth. I think these factors are necessary for a full picture.

I eagerly await the results of the test

I have a full plate of projects, so this will take a while, but I have been thinking about it for a while and have all equipment needed for a test.

I was told, a good steel will produce 1000+ (I have heard Bill Burke knives produce 2000+ cuts!) cuts before re-sharpening, so these kinds of tests will be very time intensive.

I also want to test how much stropping/touching up extends cutting ability of the knife.

Oivind - I think I want specifically to compare Shigefusa with 52100, and other tool steels that are obtainable in US. I will get to Carter and other Japanese makers at a later time when my plate is less full.
    M

Nice Marko

Im entering this with 4 knives. I really want to know what they preform

+ Reply to Thread