Difference between Shigs

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

augerpro

Reaction score
Is there a difference in the grind between the kasumi and karouchi finish Shig gyuto's?

I don't think I've ever seen a kurouchi finished Shig gyuto. I have owned both a Shig kurouchi santoku and a kasumi gyuto and feel like they were similarly ground.

One is polished the other one is not :)
No grind difference.

I have one but it is small, 180 mm
But i think OP refers to Masayuki 210mm in my newsmail :p

JKI used to carry some KU Shigs. Having seen those, I can also verify the grind appeared to be the same.

Yes, I'm referring to Maxim's KU he just received. I like the look and have been waiting to get a Shig at a price that reflects the Yen drop. It is just that the two best knives I've had that seem to fall through food were polished (Ginga and Tanaka blue 2). Karouchi finished ones never seem to do that (from my limited experience).

KU on SS is much smoother, a little bit shiny too...it seems to slide right through stuff. That the case with my Watanabe Nakiri anyway (Pensacola Tiger might have additional comments on that).

I had two (Santoku and Nakiri)...on mine the grind was actually thinner...go figure. This is circa 2006/07

Back