Quantcast
Humidity question?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Humidity question?

Humidity question?

Anyone have any good ideas for dealing with high humidity, especially in regards to carbon?

I've noticed that since moving to NC from WI that it's much more prevalent of a problem. I'm in the process of switching to all wood sayas, and I do try to coat my blades with mineral oil pretty frequently...

Any type of case or substance I can place in a case or ?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

You just think it's humid here...the humidity really doesn't get too high until July/August. As to the carbon, I use mineral oil on anything that won't be in the rotation and haven't had any issues. Welcome to the heat.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

welcome to south. my whole kitchen started wearing shorts this week. you almost have to.

I used to wear shorts all the time in my last kitchen. When we got a new Chef he thought we were insane because of the possibilities of burning your legs, so he made us wear pants. Not a fun summer.

Chop.
    There is this stuff called frog lube that might be worth checking out. It is a food safe firearms lubricant that builds up over time and you can probably use it even on the knives that are in your current rotation at work. Ask me about it at work and I'll tell you about it.

Actually now that I think about it I am going to see if I can get some to test just that.

Humidity?....never heard of it! Aside from wooden saya, my best results come from homemade cardboard sheaths saturated with tsubaki oil. Everything rusts here. My fridge looks like it has leprosy.
    Though I could not caution all I still might warn a few; Don't raise your hand to raise no flag atop no ship of fools. - Robert Hunter

how about a wooden box with hay on bottom, thick layer of rice, newspaper on top of rice.

shorts in the kitchen, wow i wish i could get away with that. i used to wear sleeveless shirts with no jacket working broiler at my first culinary job lol.

No shorts in my kitchen. Although "capris" are ok. Knees must be covered. Socks are mandatory, no sandals.

I have a freaking hot kitchen in the summer.

About the humidity, rice.

I just thought about this, maybe save silica packs and put them in your bag? I just resign myself to oiling often, but I'm going to try this next time I see one.

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    how about a wooden box with hay on bottom, thick layer of rice, newspaper on top of rice.

shorts in the kitchen, wow i wish i could get away with that. i used to wear sleeveless shirts with no jacket working broiler at my first culinary job lol.
    Working Broiler is a hot job period,seems like my Broiler days I was drinking more beer.Our uniforms long pants,shoes & socks.short sleave chef jacket,paper hats.