Quantcast
Nakiri
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Nakiri

Nakiri

We had a friend round for dinner this evening and he was politely admiring my new Misono dragon suji. He was thinking that he might like to buy his partner a knife for a present. He is vegetarian, apparently wouldn't like a pointy knife, but loves to cook. I showed him some pics of nakiris on JCK and he thinks they look great.

So I was wondering - would a nakiri be a good knife for someone who has no experience with "real" knives?

With a little instruction on proper cutting technique for it (rock-n-chop doesn't work very well), i think so....

My
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

I agree with Zwiefel. Just give them the instructions that go along with anyone's first good kitchen knife and let them know that rock chopping wont go over very well and everything should be fine. Just make sure they have stones and the know how to keep it sharp also.

No Santoku for a casual user?

My first J knife was a Carter nakiri. I got pretty good with the squared "tip" doing things I probably wasn't supposed to like brunoised garlic and such. A few years later now and I'm thinking of selling my nakiri (but won't) because I never use it. Why would I with 7 great gyutos in the rack (selected after buying and selling over a dozen)? Nothing wrong w/ a nakiri until you discover what a gyuto can do.

I have been using a flat profile gyuto/kiritsuke tojiro makes and have been thinking that I would really enjoy using a nikiri. I haven't tried one out yet because none of my coworkers have one but it seems really appealing to me for mass veg prep at work. If I were a vegetarian/vegan I think that a veg knife like a nikiri or a usuba would be the only thing I would want in my kit. But then again gyutos seem to me to be a great veg knife as well.

Why is the nikiri shape so desirable for vegetables in the first place?
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

because you dont need a tip for vegetables and u mostly chop em. at least thats what i do.

A nakiri is fun, but far too specialized. Will work fine for some veggies, and be unusable or very slow for others. There's nothing you can't do with a chef knife, that's the whole idea of it. Is the tip really causing a problem??
    Hiromoto Santoku 190 is not too flat, tip a little higher than on most santokus. Masamoto HC gyuto, French profile, but tip slightly lower.

The incredibly sophisticated Boise, ID <g>
    If he doesn't like pointy things what does he use to cut veggies now? Just curious.

I found a nakiri to be the easiest knife to learn to sharpen. Could be good if this is an intro knife.