coarse stone options?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
ideally i'd like splash n go for cutting new bevels and thinning. maybe gesshin 600, but is that even coarse enough or would it serve dual purpose by bypassing 1k stone and jump straight to medium grit?
my only coarse at the moment is naniwa 150, it cuts ok but dishes fast and just sounds like something is getting murdered.

most coarse stones suck. i've tried several and wish i had saved the money to buy a belt grinder.

Gesshin 400 is really nice but a soaker. The Beston 500 is a great value soaker. You can use a Chosera 400 as a splash n go. Another decent option is a Sigma Power 400 splash n go. It's not as fast as the others but it gets the job done. I don't like soakers too much but sub-1k, I will suck it up and do it unless I'm gonna use diamond plates.

Yes actually I would take a diamond plate as my preference in this roll. DMT XC probably.

gesshin 400? =D

Typical.

Gesshin 400 is definitely a soaker. In my experience, it's best after at least a 15 minute soak. Using it after 5 and 10 minute soaks, I felt that it was super thirsty and needed to be constantly refreshed. But after a 15 or 20 minute soak, I felt that I could use it a while without having to refresh it with water.

I vote chosera 400 for splash n' go cuts fast doesn't dish quickly and has decent tactile feed back.

My current favorite for normal work (not fixing a badly ground knife) is a King Deluxe 300 from toolsfromjapan.com. I've not found a US source for them.

Very hard, cuts very fast, no slurry, nothing but gray metal swarf. Takes abuse to dish it. Splash and go, doesn't use much water.

Might not be a good choice for very hard Japanese knives unless used with a very light hand, but for anything else it's great. The only thing I've tried where it didn't work well was repairing a set of cheapo Japanese style Santoku knives made of very very hard stainless. Dished it trying to grind a decent bevel on them to remove the 45 degree rough "edge" they came with, ended up wearing out a cheap diamond hone to get the job done.

I also have a Naniwa 220 superstone, and while it cuts OK, it's messy and dishes faster than I like for knives.

Peter

If you want a splash and go stone for thinning, I recommend the Shapton Pro 320. It's a fast cutter and, for a coarse stone, has good feel. I go to a 1k Shapton Pro to get the 320 scratches out.

Which one is faster cutting? Dishing rate? Feel? Slurry formation?

The gesshin cuts faster dishes more quickly, though not too quick, forms more slurry and feels better. I really like them both but I'm really digging the chocera simply because it cuts quickly is harder( doesn't dish quickly at all ) and I'm using it before the chocera 1k and 5k stones and they seem to retain a similarity in feel and cutting rate for their respective grit range. They just work very well together. I really like the gesshin though as well and they're both great performing stones.

There was a thread on this not too long ago and the chosera & gesshin seemed to come out even. I don't own either. However, if you want to have less fuss about soaking, sounds from the above like it'd be the chosera, and the Gesshin also costs more. A chosera 400 should cost only about $40 with the current exchange if you bought it in Japan, if that helps as a guide.

recently got the naniwa 150. great stone, better than I thought it would be. fast cutter and doesn't dish at all. ALso got the ******** 400 and that thing kinda sucks.

Back