New Web Site

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DWSmith

Still Plays With Blocks
Reaction score
After a lot of work, the new site is scheduled to go live today at noon. I hope we have found all the glitches before they rear their ugly heads but in case we didn't they will be fixed as they are located.

Take it from someone who just went through this - there's always something, but maybe you'll be the exception to the rule. Good luck.

I'm looking forward to seeing the new site, David. Congrats!

Looks great! Dig the rolling links at the bottom. Oh yeah, and the boards look great as expected.

Cheers

I like the site -- seems easy to navigate. You considering adding any close-up pics of the types of discolorations, etc. that are 'natural' and not grounds for a 100% refund? I know it is something that has caused you grief in the past.

It doesn't look very good on an iPad, issues I've found out:

1. the buttons on the left column are cut out and the top bar is not aligned to the picture.

2. When you click "catalog" a drop down menu appears with the options "customs orders" and "shopping cart" but there is no option to see your standard boards, in order to go there you have to click "catalog" a second time, which makes no sense.

3. There is a typo in the "board care" section, it is "MAINTENANCE" and not "MAINTENENCE".

4. In "ARTICLES OF BOARD ETIQUETTE" the links are not underlined, so it is not self evident that they are clickable.

5. There is a huge banner with the logo of this forum on the footer of very page, by huge I mean that the lettering is almost as big as your logo, I'm not sure your potential customers will understand the context or reasoning behind it, on the other hand I would point the link to your sub forum.

I do this for a living so I can keep doing this forever, but those 5 issues were the ones that stood out...

I don't see mahogany listed under the catalog section. It is listed as a boarder option, but I don't see it as a choice. Not sure if it was an oversight or if it is not available again.

WildBoar - There will be something in the near future about the colorations in maple, specifically mineral stains and other colorations. I wanted to get the site up and running and make the necessary changes as we went along. Also there will be a "standard" and p\"premium" offering with maple.

Lukas - The site was designed for a computer and maybe in the near future we can add something for iPads. Thanks for the suggestions. The rolling links at the bottom of the site was my designers idea. I am required to have a link back here to KKF as part of my vendor agreement and I decided to add some for those who have been good friends in the past and have supported me. I am still finding some spelling errors but they will be taken care of as we go along.

bkultra - There have been some severe problems with mahogany lately which has pushed my buttons to the end. A lot of it has ended up in the dumpster, before it was made into boards, a condition I simply can't afford. So the decision was made to drop it entirely and rely on the American woods that have served so well for so long. I can get some mahogany and that will be carefully chosen for the brick pattern and border boards that I will offer.

ejd53 - Thanks Ed!

Also, in the near future, once we get the kinks ironed out, I will have a "seconds" section added so I can list those boards which aren't good enough to be first quality yet are much to good for the dumpster. My part-timer and another customer finally convinced me to have these available.

WildBoar - There will be something in the near future about the colorations in maple, specifically mineral stains and other colorations. I wanted to get the site up and running and make the necessary changes as we went along. Also there will be a "standard" and p\"premium" offering with maple.

Lukas - The site was designed for a computer and maybe in the near future we can add something for iPads. Thanks for the suggestions. The rolling links at the bottom of the site was my designers idea. I am required to have a link back here to KKF as part of my vendor agreement and I decided to add some for those who have been good friends in the past and have supported me. I am still finding some spelling errors but they will be taken care of as we go along.

bkultra - There have been some severe problems with mahogany lately which has pushed my buttons to the end. A lot of it has ended up in the dumpster, before it was made into boards, a condition I simply can't afford. So the decision was made to drop it entirely and rely on the American woods that have served so well for so long. I can get some mahogany and that will be carefully chosen for the brick pattern and border boards that I will offer.

ejd53 - Thanks Ed!

Also, in the near future, once we get the kinks ironed out, I will have a "seconds" section added so I can list those boards which aren't good enough to be first quality yet are much to good for the dumpster. My part-timer and another customer finally convinced me to have these available.

Your seconds are better than 90% of the firsts out there.

David,

I have a couple of your boards for many years and you are the best. With that said, not liking your new website. Even when I add a board to my cart there is no price or choice for size. It could be my laptop, but the website also moves very slow.

David,

I have a couple of your boards for many years and you are the best. With that said, not liking your new website. Even when I add a board to my cart there is no price or choice for size. It could be my laptop, but the website also moves very slow.

There is a glitch in the shopping cart that I don't know how to fix. My designer assured me the site and shopping cart was ready to go and obviously it isn't. All I can do is keep fussing at her and hope she can get it fixed.

Sorry you are going through these new site issues, but not surprised. Took me a long time to work all the kinks out. I just hope your designer is responsive and that it doesn't drive you crazy. The good news is that you have a large and loyal following that, I'm sure, will be patient and even helpful in getting everything right.

The good news is that the designer did something to work out the kinks in the shopping cart. Something about adding in an ecommerce something or other. Remember guys, I am a woodworker and certainly not a computer expert so these things are far above my understanding.

Back