Quantcast
Another way to spend your $$$ --Falk's - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Another way to spend your $$$ --Falk's

Thanks for the comparison shots and info Duck

The new Falk is vastly different from their cookware from several years ago. I'll eat my hat if their handles are not made in China and FWIW the last time I spoke with Mr.Harp he was working out of China. It's pretty noticeable when you lift a Falk that's several years old and then use a new one. Of course many products change over time but even Mr. Harp has expressed frustration over Falk changing weights (how do you do that with out making the pot smaller or the bi-metal thinner?) and not notifying him. Pay close attention to their web site and unlike other makers you will see that their volumes and weights are all approximations. Those estimations are still not very accurate based on the pieces I've bought.
    The Falk logo is stamped on the bottom of the pots as well.

Who you jivin' with that Cosmik Debris?

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Martell View Post
    Thanks for the comparison shots and info Duck
    I can get some shots later of the Falk stock pot if any one is interested.

Dave

doesn't Falk supply the stainless/copper sheeting to everybody else? i bought 2.5mm 26cm Mauviel frypan a month ago, but all the rest of my stuff is tinned, either 2mm Baumalu, or heavy old stuff (the 2 qt 70s vintage Matfer saucepan I have weighs about 2 tons, is over 3mm at the edge, and rules, and the 26cm high side frypan by J. Jacqoutot is fantastic, as it's made to be as light as possible while also giving good performance). the Mauviel is very nice, especially after i polished up the stainless steel interior (it was quite rough and sticky, initially, which was disconcerting using it next to the rather slippery tin i'm used to). the Baumalu works great, and is very cheap. 2mm seems just fine, to me. i really love copper.

Quote Originally Posted by EdipisReks View Post
    doesn't Falk supply the stainless/copper sheeting to everybody else?
    Falk owns the patent on the bi-metal process but they don't actually manufacture or supply the bi-metal foil to other companies.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckfat View Post
    Falk owns the patent on the bi-metal process but they don't actually manufacture or supply the bi-metal foil to other companies.
    ah, okay. i think i had originally read that they were the supplier on egullet many moons ago, and as often happens, i find out that it wasn't true.

Duckfat, thanks for posting those shots. Absolutely agree with you that the cast iron handles are unfinished. I had to use 800/1000 west sane paper to finishe mine. The burr that I took of was so sharp. I's say chinese part for sure.

Given your expertience with the Falk pans, the sauce pot you have, How thick it is? is it SS or Tin lined?

Are you guys saying that Falk pans all weigh different amount? How's that possible? How could the copper foil be lighter if its 2.5mm then its 2.5 right? Given the the quality of copper is the same. Also, what is it about the little revets that you don't like Duck? Honestly, have you ever had a falk handle come loose? Under what circumstances could you even invistioning it happening? Maybe if you were using the pot as a mallet? HA

Agreed about the crappy maker mark stamp. the one on my 3 Q saucier is barely visable. Maybe time to make a new die Falk?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Given your expertience with the Falk pans, the sauce pot you have, How thick it is? is it SS or Tin lined?
    Are you guys saying that Falk pans all weigh different amount? How's that possible? what is it about the little revets that you don't like Duck? Honestly, have you ever had a falk handle come loose? Under what circumstances could you even invistioning it happening? Maybe if you were using the pot as a mallet? HA
    IIR Falk only makes 2.5 and 2mm copper. All of my Falk is 2.5mm. AFAIK Falk does not produce any tin lined cookware. Falk cookware weighs less because than they advertise because Falk keeps reducing the size of their pots with out changing the advertised size. Their 2.5 quart sauce pot for example holds less than 2 quarts. That piece is $325 (with out discounts). That's $120 more than the Mauviel 1.9 (2.5MM-SS) that will actually hold 1.9 quarts.
    The rivets are probably not an issue if all you do is polish the copper to look purdy in a show kitchen (don't laugh a lot of copper ends up all show and no go) but I cook a lot with my copper. Load up a large stock pot with those rivets and it's not hard to imagine that eventually it could be a real problem. Either way I'd probably sum it up as not being a fan of paying more for less.
    The biggest issue I see over all with Falk is they will not take returns with out major hassles and significant re-stocking fees if they will even take it back. They openly say on the US web site they do not want returns and they mean it.
    If you want Tin lined I'd probably look at the company making them in Brooklyn (Hammersmiths?) however I've never had one of their products.

Dave

Thanks Dave. makes sense. My pots are like my knives, if they don't get used, they get sold. it hadn't occured to me that the actuall pot is smaller. Interesting. I've got two useful ones so I'm fine with that. My only regret was that Michael harp had one Windsor 3.0 L Fait Tout that has since been dioscontinued that I should have grabbed. Its maybe the only size I don't have and I can't justify $300 for an All-cladd copper core. I need induction capable too

Quote Originally Posted by Mucho Bocho View Post
    Thanks Dave. makes sense. My pots are like my knives, if they don't get used, they get sold. it hadn't occured to me that the actuall pot is smaller. Interesting. I've got two useful ones so I'm fine with that. My only regret was that Michael harp had one Windsor 3.0 L Fait Tout that has since been dioscontinued that I should have grabbed. Its maybe the only size I don't have and I can't justify $300 for an All-cladd copper core. I need induction capable too
    i have this 3.5 qt Viking, and it's very nice. might fit your needs.

+ Reply to Thread