Quantcast
McLean Customs Shaving Brushes
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: McLean Customs Shaving Brushes

McLean Customs Shaving Brushes

We all knew it was only a matter of time; This new product will be all handmade, by me (knots sourced from the same maker as many top brush lines use). I'll be taking no custom orders on brushes, and I'll be working them in when I need to do something different, or when my saya work is at a standstill, because of waiting for curing, etc. The fact of the matter is that I love a great shaving brush, and I want to bring that aspect of wet-shaving over to this community. I receive many emails regarding which brush I'd recommend for a new wet-shaver, or for someone who wants to try a new brush. I feel these questions will be answered, without having to directly write back. My brushes will be done exactly with the loft to diameter ratios, knot types and handle styles that I love to use, myself. Basically, if I made it, I believe in the attributes of the brush.

Here's my first "Official" one, which was made for my friend Michael Rader, as a thank you for many things, but namely, the lathe (and chisels) that I will be using to make these brushes.

Here it is, all finished up. Zebrawood handle. Silvertip knot. Big, badass styling. Brushes like this one will be the most expensive I will offer, and I am still trying to figure out exactly what that will translate to. Please, let me know your thoughts on this one, guys.

09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

beautiful Tom. You're a busy guy
    One thing you can give and still keep...is your word.

Spokane, WA aka Spokanistan, or Spoklahoma, or...
    Looks great Tom. And I agree that its awesome to spread the love of wet shaving. So feel good and classy.
    Amat Victoria Curam Fortune favors the prepared.
    "A human being is primarily a bag for putting food into." -George Orwell

Really, really nice, Tom! I'm looking forward to seeing what your next brush looks like.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”

Ohhh lust. Love the wood, and am eagerly awaiting more.

The loft looks a little short to me given the diameter of the knot. I assume the stiffness is for working up a lather on a hard soap?

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    I haven't gone down the shaving rabbit hole, but this looks great Tom. Zebrawood is pretty underrated.
    Keep up the good work.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Quote Originally Posted by skiajl6297 View Post
    Ohhh lust. Love the wood, and am eagerly awaiting more.
    Lol, had to read that a few times to figure out what you actually meant.... Cause I knew it wasn't likely what I was interpreting it as.
    -Enjoy the ride. *** All statements made herein are my personal opinion and nothing more, regardless of tone or context. ***

Haha I love how often we say unintentionally awesome stuff thanks to KKF. I still love the sale posts about boning knives. I was speaking about the knot... Mostly. It's that nice.

Quote Originally Posted by wenus2 View Post
    Lol, had to read that a few times to figure out what you actually meant.... Cause I knew it wasn't likely what I was I interpreting it as.

Quote Originally Posted by cord_steele View Post
    The loft looks a little short to me given the diameter of the knot. I assume the stiffness is for working up a lather on a hard soap?
    Short loft for face lathering.
    “Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge.”