Page 1 of 10 123 ... LastLast

Thread: New Offering - Custom Sayas

New Offering - Custom Sayas

The timing is kind of strange, and somewhat serendipitous; I will now be offering custom made "sandwich sayas". The way this can work is for you to send your knife, and cover shipping round trip, or send an ACCURATE drawing, with the exact thickest width on the knife's spine. It would be best to send the knife, but to keep costs down, the picture method is an option.

In light of the hole left by Eamon's absence, to start, I'll be offering sayas at the exact same price point as Eamon did (plus materials). Can someone track down his pricing list for me? Also, for special material requests, I will gladly use those provided by the customer.

Here are some pics of one I finished up today.

I should also mention, I'll only take on orders that I can get done, and get done quickly, so at times, I'll have to say, "not yet".

Thanks guys!
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

Very cool Tom. The lighter spacer between the two dark sides looks really nice.
    "Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away." -Antoine de Saint-Exupery

This is great news. I have so much cardboard and masking tape in my bag it's ridiculous.

burke cutlery:
    standard saya for $45(including basic saya wood)
    premium saya for $60(excluding saya materials)
    Charles ***[All statements I made here only my personal opinion and nothing more!]*** & Please bare with me for my crappy English!!

Alright, I'm thinking $55, plus materials for the sayas. Let's call that the price, plus shipping, of course.

Thanks, Charles!
    09/06

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    is that 55 can? I think it would be, but just throwing it out there for some clarity.
    Chewie's the man.

Nope, good old American! It's easier for everyone that way. Thanks for asking, though.
    09/06

What are the thicknesses of the wood? 1/8" or 1/4", also what is the middle spacer material? Is the middle thicker than the sandwich pieces?
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

The spacer thickness can vary. As I have 1/16" (thin petty), 1/8" (gyuto/suji) and 1/4" (cleaver/deba) thicknesses, the sayas are a nice snug fit. As for the outside, I use 1/8" sheets, and bevel, hand sand, oil and wax the finished piece. The faces look thinner and the overall look is sleeker, because of the bevels and overall slimmer profile I go for.

For context, I use basswood for the spacer material, because it works very well, is edge friendly, and despite its light weight, is flexible and surprisingly strong.
    09/06

Sweet! I ask because I just bought a bunch of various 1/8" x 4" x 24" finished boards and some basswood.

Good to know I'm on the right track!

Looks great by the way.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com