Quantcast
In the market for honesuki
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In the market for honesuki

In the market for honesuki

Want to get rid of my Shun boning knife and get a honesuki. Any suggestions??? I want something that will easily maneuver between bones and joints and trim up silver skin. Also take a nice steep edge.

I would go cheap, honesuki is not for everyone. I got a fairly nice one in my Quest for the perfect Boner and hated it. The current Perfect Boner is a carbon R. Murphy. This thing is cheap, takes a screaming edge, and just feels right in my hand. After some tip thinning I think the grail. But some people love their honesukisand I'm definitely glad I tried one out.

Budget? Carbon? Stainless?
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/

I like my carbonext a lot.

Tojiro DP is the benchmark for honesuke IMHO. Inexpensive and just takes care of business. I used mine tonight to do a demo for a class on how to break down a chicken for grilling. Best bang for the buck honesuke on the market.

For stainless, I agree with miles.

For budget carbon, I like misono Swedish, although I've only used a workmate's a couple of times.

ThEoRy:
    My budget would be around $200 and I don't care if it's carbon or stainless.

Dardeau makes a fine point. It's only money but be careful not to pull a boner.

Wonder how many times that pun has been used.

You don't need two hundred for honesuke. A honesuke is a rough and tumble knife. It's not necessary to spend a fortune. Eighty and you have a Tojiro DP which will take care of business and keep taking care of business for a long time. I have a fondness for the Misono Swedish steel so if you want to go carbon, for $125 you can pick up a Misono Swedish honesuke from JCK and you"ll be in fine shape. I'm not sure I'd spend much beyond that, but everyone has to figure out their limits so...

The misono carbon and tojiro dp are both great choices in the price range. Personally I'd say go misono carbon but really can't go wrong with the tojiro either. It's really a great bang for the buck workhorse.
    Starting this harvest I'm a starving startling artist/
    Lyrical arsonist it's arduous spitting this smartest arsenic/