In the market for honesuki

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SyndicateNova

Reaction score
Want to get rid of my Shun boning knife and get a honesuki. Any suggestions??? I want something that will easily maneuver between bones and joints and trim up silver skin. Also take a nice steep edge.

I would go cheap, honesuki is not for everyone. I got a fairly nice one in my Quest for the perfect Boner and hated it. The current Perfect Boner is a carbon R. Murphy. This thing is cheap, takes a screaming edge, and just feels right in my hand. After some tip thinning I think the grail. But some people love their honesukisand I'm definitely glad I tried one out.

Tojiro DP is the benchmark for honesuke IMHO. Inexpensive and just takes care of business. I used mine tonight to do a demo for a class on how to break down a chicken for grilling. Best bang for the buck honesuke on the market.

For stainless, I agree with miles.

For budget carbon, I like misono Swedish, although I've only used a workmate's a couple of times.

ThEoRy:
My budget would be around $200 and I don't care if it's carbon or stainless.

Dardeau makes a fine point. It's only money but be careful not to pull a boner.

Wonder how many times that pun has been used.

You don't need two hundred for honesuke. A honesuke is a rough and tumble knife. It's not necessary to spend a fortune. Eighty and you have a Tojiro DP which will take care of business and keep taking care of business for a long time. I have a fondness for the Misono Swedish steel so if you want to go carbon, for $125 you can pick up a Misono Swedish honesuke from JCK and you"ll be in fine shape. I'm not sure I'd spend much beyond that, but everyone has to figure out their limits so...

The misono carbon and tojiro dp are both great choices in the price range. Personally I'd say go misono carbon but really can't go wrong with the tojiro either. It's really a great bang for the buck workhorse.

I have a Moritaka,no grind issues ,takes a great edge and keeps it,very little reactivity and its heavy which i like.I think i paid about$120 AU for it.

Fujiwara FKM is a great one too, at an even greater price.

Suisin western carbon can be had for under $100. Had one, sold it, regret it.

+1 tojiro dp. 54 dollars on rakuten, but i dont know about shipping to us.

if only it was easy for us lefties for knives like these =D

Have you locked at Jon's Kochi's? They are double bevel though.

forgot about those. still not listed on his site though, which is why i forgot. lol.

will ask about it when i have the money to do so.

thanks for reminding me.

forgot about those. still not listed on his site though, which is why i forgot. lol.

will ask about it when i have the money to do so.

thanks for reminding me.

I believe he's also got some stainless $75 dollar single bevels that he doesn't list, at least he did eight months ago when he sold me one. Great intro Honesuki, not my favorite handle. Want to get my hands on one of the Kochi's when I get the chance. I would make love to those burnt chestnut handles if I could.

Back