Quantcast
Laser 270mm aeb-l gyuto video - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Laser 270mm aeb-l gyuto video

Quote Originally Posted by wsfarrell View Post
    Your need to constantly denigrate certain makers and certain vendors does not reflect well on you as a professional.
    I don't think Dave is doing either, at least in this case. He's giving his opinion on the knife, not the maker or vendor.

I guess I'm just feeling the rage tonight in general, but those items, cut that way, don't make food. Isn't that the point of this, to make some thing nice for us, our loved ones, and people who pay to be honorary, one meal only loved ones something good to eat?

Quote Originally Posted by James View Post
    I don't think Dave is doing either, at least in this case. He's giving his opinion on the knife, not the maker or vendor.
    +1 and it's helpful to have someone who's handled quite a few to give an honest opinion.
    one man gathers what another man spills...

the only negative attribute that dave mentioned was that the knife is difficult to deburr, big deal. Ive got a few vintage knives with low HRC, that arent lasers...still doesnt make them bad knives. well, i guess the false advertising is negative, but still im glad it was pointed out.

I'm speaking my truth here folks. If I see something emerge as crap from the same person over and over again and I bring it up it can be seen as bashing or maybe it's just the truth being spoken....you decide for yourself.

i'd like to see some opinions on the AS version, seems like totally different knife all together!

Quote Originally Posted by panda View Post
    i'd like to see some opinions on the AS version, seems like totally different knife all together!

It likely is a lot better...it's made in Japan.

In the case of the AEB-L version I think it's a great steel but maybe it's not optimized by batch type heat treating. Sure it might be good enough done this way but that's not what it's expectation level is. Devin Thomas brought AEB-L to the kitchen knife world and we all fell in love with it, we love what he showed us, it's ease of sharpening/burr removal, fine keen edge, and great edge holding ability. What we seem to neglect to comprehend as a whole is the role that Devin played vs what role Richmond's heat treat company plays, when compared with each other, in the final results. Maybe the case is that AEB-L isn't so great unless it's tweaked by a master? For that matter maybe there's other steels that are the same....52100 for instance? My point here is that just because a cook copies a successful recipe and throws all the ingredients into the pot doesn't mean that we're going to automatically receive a great meal when we sit down at the table. Maybe the results would be different if an experienced chef stepped in and did some of what he does so well to optimize the experience/results for us to really feel the magic that the dish has to offer. In the case of the Richmond knife I feel that the Devin recipe was copied but wasn't executed properly.

It likely is a lot better...it's made in Japan.
    yep.

The knife is made in Japan, waight is 180g and spine messures from 2.50mm to 0.29mm at the very tip.

I have asked for this thread to be deleted.

I don't really want to rush to cktg's defense here, but the Aeb-l version is made in Japan as well. It the 270 also has a 2.4 mm spine thickness - the same as a 270 konosuke hd or a Sakai yusuke. I've never held one, so I can't comment otherwise.

The AS laser looks funny as it has substantially thicker spine than any knife that we would normally call a laser.

A little off topic now:
    What I call BS on is calling a knife the 'Richmond hamon' when the knife is San Mai and the 'hamon' looks like a lamination line.

Nice video Magnus, thanks for sharing.