Media Laser 270mm aeb-l gyuto video

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mr.Magnus

Reaction score
Made a little video yesterday of my favorit to go knife :) not a chef so cutting skills could be better.
[video=youtube;plgU2SZ7so8]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=plgU2SZ7so8#![/video]

nice handle...looks like a good cutter too. and I think your skills are a lot better than mine! Interesting board as well.

Nice video. I like how you cutting board is set up. Neat idea.

Jay

Like the vid, and I think the cutting skills are just fine.
Like the board too

Upon seeing this thread/video I initially closed it down because of the past issues that we've had with CKTG fanboys being contracted (and also of their own fanboy will) spamming KKF with product videos in the past. Upon refection I think this isn't such a thing so I've re-opened the thread. I will assume that Magnus won;t be doing a video series for CKTG like the others have done and give him a chance here.

On the knife, it's funny because I've recently had a few of these pass through my hands and I'm finding them to be anything but a "laser"....maybe a wide beam laser but not what I'd consider a laser like knife at all. Also, I feel like they're softer than the advertised Rc61...more like Rc 58 at best. They raise a burr instantly (too fast for this steel at this hardness) and then this burr is not at all easy to remove and refine. This reminds me more of a German knife than a Japanese knife. Sorry but that's my take on them.

Upon seeing this thread/video I initially closed it down because of the past issues that we've had with CKTG fanboys being contracted (and also of their own fanboy will) spamming KKF with product videos in the past. Upon refection I think this isn't such a thing so I've re-opened the thread. I will assume that Magnus won;t be doing a video series for CKTG like the others have done and give him a chance here.

On the knife, it's funny because I've recently had a few of these pass through my hands and I'm finding them to be anything but a "laser"....maybe a wide beam laser but not what I'd consider a laser like knife at all. Also, I feel like their softer than the advertised Rc61...more like Rc 58 at best. They raise a burr instantly (too fast for this steel at this hardness) and then this burr is not at all easy to remove and refine. This reminds me more of a German knife than a Japanese knife. Sorry but that's my take on them.

Your need to constantly denigrate certain makers and certain vendors does not reflect well on you as a professional.

Your need to constantly denigrate certain makers and certain vendors does not reflect well on you as a professional.

can't help but agree.

I was wondering why this vid. was still up when I watched it. I didn't mind the explanation. I didn't get the feeling of denigration, but a honest opinion of the knives he has seen. Dave has done this for a ton of other makers not just the cktg group.

I don't think Dave is doing either, at least in this case. He's giving his opinion on the knife, not the maker or vendor.

I guess I'm just feeling the rage tonight in general, but those items, cut that way, don't make food. Isn't that the point of this, to make some thing nice for us, our loved ones, and people who pay to be honorary, one meal only loved ones something good to eat?

I don't think Dave is doing either, at least in this case. He's giving his opinion on the knife, not the maker or vendor.

+1 and it's helpful to have someone who's handled quite a few to give an honest opinion.

the only negative attribute that dave mentioned was that the knife is difficult to deburr, big deal. Ive got a few vintage knives with low HRC, that arent lasers...still doesnt make them bad knives. well, i guess the false advertising is negative, but still im glad it was pointed out.

I'm speaking my truth here folks. If I see something emerge as crap from the same person over and over again and I bring it up it can be seen as bashing or maybe it's just the truth being spoken....you decide for yourself.

i'd like to see some opinions on the AS version, seems like totally different knife all together!

It likely is a lot better...it's made in Japan. :)

In the case of the AEB-L version I think it's a great steel but maybe it's not optimized by batch type heat treating. Sure it might be good enough done this way but that's not what it's expectation level is. Devin Thomas brought AEB-L to the kitchen knife world and we all fell in love with it, we love what he showed us, it's ease of sharpening/burr removal, fine keen edge, and great edge holding ability. What we seem to neglect to comprehend as a whole is the role that Devin played vs what role Richmond's heat treat company plays, when compared with each other, in the final results. Maybe the case is that AEB-L isn't so great unless it's tweaked by a master? For that matter maybe there's other steels that are the same....52100 for instance? My point here is that just because a cook copies a successful recipe and throws all the ingredients into the pot doesn't mean that we're going to automatically receive a great meal when we sit down at the table. Maybe the results would be different if an experienced chef stepped in and did some of what he does so well to optimize the experience/results for us to really feel the magic that the dish has to offer. In the case of the Richmond knife I feel that the Devin recipe was copied but wasn't executed properly.

The knife is made in Japan, waight is 180g and spine messures from 2.50mm to 0.29mm at the very tip.

I have asked for this thread to be deleted.

I don't really want to rush to cktg's defense here, but the Aeb-l version is made in Japan as well. It the 270 also has a 2.4 mm spine thickness - the same as a 270 konosuke hd or a Sakai yusuke. I've never held one, so I can't comment otherwise.

The AS laser looks funny as it has substantially thicker spine than any knife that we would normally call a laser.

A little off topic now:
What I call BS on is calling a knife the 'Richmond hamon' when the knife is San Mai and the 'hamon' looks like a lamination line.

Nice video Magnus, thanks for sharing.

Nice looking knife with that custom handle. And looking that board too

It likely is a lot better...it's made in Japan. :)

In the case of the AEB-L version I think it's a great steel but maybe it's not optimized by batch type heat treating. Sure it might be good enough done this way but that's not what it's expectation level is. Devin Thomas brought AEB-L to the kitchen knife world and we all fell in love with it, we love what he showed us, it's ease of sharpening/burr removal, fine keen edge, and great edge holding ability. What we seem to neglect to comprehend as a whole is the role that Devin played vs what role Richmond's heat treat company plays, when compared with each other, in the final results. Maybe the case is that AEB-L isn't so great unless it's tweaked by a master? For that matter maybe there's other steels that are the same....52100 for instance? My point here is that just because a cook copies a successful recipe and throws all the ingredients into the pot doesn't mean that we're going to automatically receive a great meal when we sit down at the table. Maybe the results would be different if an experienced chef stepped in and did some of what he does so well to optimize the experience/results for us to really feel the magic that the dish has to offer. In the case of the Richmond knife I feel that the Devin recipe was copied but wasn't executed properly.

Agree. To get AEB-L to 61-62RC, is not that easy in commercial heat treating, when a number of blanks are heat treated at the same time. People often forget that DT heat treatment is custom, in small batches.

Most Japanese AEB-L I have seen are in 57-58RC range. If this knife is softer than 61RC, as advertized, I won't be surprised. And yes, you will know it by the burr formation and how hard it is to remove it.The higher the RC on a well heat treated steel, the easier it is to remove the burr. Removing burr on soft stainless is the worst, it feels gummy.

Many makers make knives out of AEB-L. I would bet that not many come close to DT in perfomance. Same steel, different heat treatment. This case is not different.

M

I have nothing against Mark or CKTG and have bought many knives from him. One of them was the AEBL Artifect for my Mom. Same deal, the burr was a ***** to deal with, the geometry was to my liking, the heel was too low so knuckle clearance was a problem and over all the grind was pretty flat not very convex. Mom usually grabs hr Cutco over this knife. Sorry mark

However, keep thinking that Mark's Laser in AS looks to be a great candidate for Dave's Performance package and new handle. Maybe I'll get one some day, right now I've got a custome Yusuke order that I'm waiting for.

Great vid Magnus. Thanks for sharing it, I hope people here can appreciate the vid. (I thought you told me you were not that refined in sharpening kitchen knives....looks pretty good to me:)

Yes the video is very good and should not be overlooked. I'm sorry if I derailed the thread.

Nice vid. Using the chromium oxide, 0.25 micron diamond and leather gave me a sense of nostalgia... Maybe I'll do that again a couple times just for kicks n giggles.

cheers kalaeb. well i was hoping so to. but i think deleting the thread is better. it was a mistake to even think about putting it here, i forgot the policy and im sorry for that :)
im stil learning the sharpening of knives but since i have honed hundreds of razors now i have started to learn knife sharpening pretty fast. i used naniwa ss stones on this knife up to 10k no problem with deburring, dont find it any harder to sharpen then my other knives. but about the HRC i cant speak cuz i have no experiance of feeling the hardness by 1 or 2 lvl. the knife holds the edge pretty damn good and to be honest i have yet to try a better knife in same size for the same money. im getting a konosuke funayaki next and think it will be the new to go knife.

the new AS version is thicker then the aeb-l.

pics of the aeb-l
DSC00528.jpg
DSC00529.jpg
DSC00531.jpg
DSC00532.jpg
DSC00534.jpg

cheers kalaeb. well i was hoping so to. but i think deleting the thread is better. it was a mistake to even think about putting it here, i forgot the policy and im sorry for that :)

Please don't. I still use 0.5 Chromium all the time. It isn't so popular but I still prefer the edge I get with it over others I've tried

I'm getting really tired of some people reflexively bad mouthing Dave when he voices an opinion.

Back