n00b from Vermont

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tones

Reaction score
Hi, I'm Tony...

I'm an ex hacker on a quest for a second career in the food service industry. I currently live in Vermont, but I've been up and down the east coast over the decades with a brief stint in Des Moines, IA and I originally hail from just outside Vienna (Wien) Austria. I got started on my second career a bit over a year ago, by attending a local culinary training course and have so far had less than a handful of jobs in a kitchen, and although it's far from easy work, especially since I'm no longer a spring chicken, I hope to still have many years of making faces light up with a plate of food ahead of me.

I found my way here because I got tired of having to use dull, abused "community" knives in the kitchens that I've worked in so far, and have been trying to educate myself on kitchen knives for a couple of weeks now in preparation of buying something a little nicer. I'm looking forward to learning from/with y'all!

/tony (tones)

Sup? So you went from hacking computers to hacking chickens? Okay. I can see that. Welcome aboard. Hide your wallet.

Sup? So you went from hacking computers to hacking chickens? Okay. I can see that. Welcome aboard. Hide your wallet.

Hah! You have a point there, I am still hacking, I've just switched to a different medium. Now to make sure to never lose the "er" or "ing" , there's already plenty of hacks in kitchens all around us :lol2: Unfortunately my wallet's bare, so no need to hide it quite yet. I'm developing an interest in Japanese knives though, which looks like it could do a damn fine job of making sure my wallet keeps its girlish figure... Oh well, at least this (potentially expensive) interest of mine involves tools for my new profession. Wonder if that could make it tax deductible. Anyway, nice to virtually meet ya!

Welcome aboard Tony. Yes knives can take a good bite out of your wallet, but that's one the great things about this forum. You can learn a lot here and ultimately come up with some great values.

I think you've come to the right place. I'd suggest starting a thread in the general section with specific questions, if you have them and specific information regarding what knives you tend to use (general dimensions and shapes) and how you like to use them. It will make the process more efficient.

Back