Quantcast
Humidity question? - Page 2
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Humidity question?

Here in fl summers are brutal In the kitchen, look at the loghtweight jackets from happy chef and get breatheable pants.

It really helps to drink plenty of water I drink on averae 3-5qts just during service and I feel much better and cooler I overall.

I also take a towels and dip it I. I've water and leave it on my neck when I work the grill.

Humidity rice works well.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    Anyone have any good ideas for dealing with high humidity, especially in regards to carbon?

I've noticed that since moving to NC from WI that it's much more prevalent of a problem. I'm in the process of switching to all wood sayas, and I do try to coat my blades with mineral oil pretty frequently...

Any type of case or substance I can place in a case or ?
    What problem are you having exactly? Rust?

When your trying to keep several dozen knives tuned, small bottles of expensive oils seem silly. I've tried them, and am not sure they outperform my pint tin of mineral oil for $7.

I use orange oil/ beeswax on my handles.

Now if someone can tell me differently, I may reconsider.
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com

Have you tried flitz? Seems to work well don't wipe it completely off. It's a good barrier goes a long way however before using it will need to be cleaned but if its that bad should work. I'm amazed your having that many issues I really don't here only need a little oil and polish once a week or so.

Quote Originally Posted by NO ChoP! View Post
    When your trying to keep several dozen knives tuned, small bottles of expensive oils seem silly. I've tried them, and am not sure they outperform my pint tin of mineral oil for $7.

I use orange oil/ beeswax on my handles.

Now if someone can tell me differently, I may reconsider.
    All I know is I use the Tsubaki oil...on all my high end stuff (drawer queens)...and I have / had a lot of them. Never had a problem with rusting or patina forming.

Sure, I've used Flitz; to remove patina. I've found I like 0000 and 00000 steel wool better for this job.
    I don't let the knives rust, but they will start to discolor orange. It usually wipes off with a damp cloth.
    Even if I rotate knives evenly, some may sit for weeks without use.
    Humidity in NC often reaches way up in the 80% to 100% range. Leaving a few knives in my car trunk or garage overnight can reek havoc sometimes.

The rice was a good suggestion, more in line with what I am looking for....
    The difference between try and triumph is a little "umph"! NO EXCUSES!!!!!!!
    chefchristophermiller@yahoo.com