Quantcast
Dog O War!
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dog O War!

Dog O War!

Heres one im finishing up . Its some of the new basket weave Jr forged last month. The handles are copper and musk ox horn. The box is burnt Oak lined with badger fur.

This one has the words "Dog O War" on the top. and celtic stuff burnt ito the Oak on all sides The box was made to my specs by Tom Blevins. He does great work!

Thanks for looking, as always, comments and critiques welcomed.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

gorgeous work...don't think I've seen a damascus (or any truly fine quality) knife with the saw-teeth on the spine before. I'm sure the owner is going to be pleased.
    Remember: You're a unique individual...just like everybody else.

INSANE! In a good way

i rly like the green muskox

What a beautifully executed package! The handle is particularly striking to me. Bravo!

Incredible.

Will this knife be used for something, or is it just intended to be a work of art?

Thanks Guys!

Johnny. Its a Scottish Dubh and will be used. They are carried stuck in the sock. Beings I dont think there are any pockets on a kilt.

Inspired by God, Forged by Fire, Tempered by Water, Grounded by Earth, Guided by the spirit.. Randy Haas

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

It's a Sgian Dubh (Black knife). It was originally developed from a knife called the sgian-achlais that was hidden under the arm. Interestingly, the word dubh also can be translated as "hidden". In 17th and 18th century Scotland, courtesy and etiquette would demand that when entering the home of a friend, any concealed weapons would be revealed.; thus, the sgian-achlais would be removed from its hiding-place and displayed in the stocking top held by the garters. Over time, the size of the knife was reduced so that it could be carried there permanently. It was basically the EDC of Scotland; it was originally used for eating and preparing fruit, meat, and cutting bread and cheese - as well as serving for other more general day to day uses such as cutting material and protection. Today it is basically ceremonial, worn with a dress uniform. The filework on the side is traditional, but usually only consists of about 6 "teeth" extending halfway down the side. And before you ask, yes most of my family is from Scotland originally. Oh, and it is absolutely beautiful, as usual Randy. I guess we should cry havoc now.
    Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries. Now go away you silly man or I shall taunt you a second time!

Wow that is fantastic! Unfortunately, most sgian dubhs i see nowadays are fake (no blade just a handle and sheath) and i have never ever saw a bladed one that has a working edge, which is a real shame and kind of sad given the heritage. I work at a 14th century Scottish castle doing lots of weddings so come across a lot of these chaps. Seeing this has given me some thought about investing in a real deal one of these. Randy, i will be in touch!

Quote Originally Posted by ejd53 View Post
    It's a Sgian Dubh (Black knife). It was originally developed from a knife called the sgian-achlais that was hidden under the arm. Interestingly, the word dubh also can be translated as "hidden". In 17th and 18th century Scotland, courtesy and etiquette would demand that when entering the home of a friend, any concealed weapons would be revealed.; thus, the sgian-achlais would be removed from its hiding-place and displayed in the stocking top held by the garters. Over time, the size of the knife was reduced so that it could be carried there permanently. It was basically the EDC of Scotland; it was originally used for eating and preparing fruit, meat, and cutting bread and cheese - as well as serving for other more general day to day uses such as cutting material and protection. Today it is basically ceremonial, worn with a dress uniform. The filework on the side is traditional, but usually only consists of about 6 "teeth" extending halfway down the side. And before you ask, yes most of my family is from Scotland originally. Oh, and it is absolutely beautiful, as usual Randy. I guess we should cry havoc now.
    Ed, Thanks for the added info. This is the 5th Dubh I have made. The first 4 were for a family and were quite awesome. One of them went to the father. he had 2 sons who each received one. and one of his sons has a 18 year old son who also received one. Each was different yet all were similar. The names on each box were different and descriptive. Its always a honor to make a knife for someone. But it was really a treat to make these for the family. and be part of such a cool project!

This one is also different from the first 4 and yet of them all I think this one is my favorite!

What is the significance of the badger fur to these?

Blessings!
    Randy

240mm Stainless Gyuto!!

+ Reply to Thread