New Master Smith Aaron Wilburn

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Burl Source

Weird Wood Pusher
Reaction score
Congratulations to blade smith Aaron Wilburn of Redding California.
Aaron Wilburn became a Master Smith and won the B.R. Hughes award at Blade.
Not a lot of people know Aaron. When I spoke to him earlier he said he kept hearing people say "who are you, I never heard of you before".
Aaron stops by here once in a while. Very friendly and humble guy.
He told me he makes knives but I never knew he was any good at this stuff until he told me he was testing for Master Smith this year.

Aaron makes kitchen knives as well as the normal stuff. (I have one on the way in a few weeks)
Here are a few photos of his knives.

8857016055_97fb0804d6_c.jpg

8856829587_8db4981c53_c.jpg

8857440570_645ce71eb2_c.jpg

8856828223_9392d62f34_c.jpg

and some kitchen knives

5490589_orig.jpg

2844613_orig.jpg

1467753_orig.jpg

That's cool. Salty bought a blade of his a couple of years back, and I have written him a couple of times to inquire about pricing. Doesn't his daughter also make knives? I think I had a small crush on her at one point in time.

k.

Just for a looksey. I believe the blade below is the one Salty acquired a couple of years ago. And here is a video of Salty using the blade.

[video=youtube;wOrMRAztWqE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=wOrMRAztWqE#at=121[/video]

k.

saltys.jpg

Beautiful control on that Damascus!!

Cool! I'll have to hang on to that one. Value probably just went up to!

Now I remember when Salty "took a chance" on it. Nice call, man.

Love those daggers or whatever you'd call them.

And here is Aaron passing the bend test portion.

[video=youtube;Sfs2114aTnw]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sfs2114aTnw[/video]

k.

Love those daggers or whatever you'd call them.
For the Master Smith test you have to make a quillion dagger. Aaron made 2.
I wonder if fluted handles like that would ever catch on in the kitchen knife world.
I'd bet Stefan or Mike could make some.

A Smith to Watch
Congratulations Aaron .BR Hughes Award winner as well which is given to the bet knife submitted by a Master Smith candidate.
I have a damascus gyuto from Aaron it is a wonderful piece,I look forward to the next

A Smith to Watch
Congratulations Aaron .BR Hughes Award winner as well which is given to the bet knife submitted by a Master Smith candidate.
I have a damascus gyuto from Aaron it is a wonderful piece,I look forward to the next
Pics?

Doesn't his daughter also make knives? I think I had a small crush on her at one point in time.

k.

Yes she does.

We just got in her second knife made and I will post a photo once its shot.

Aaron has really been excelling in his work over the last two years and made some dramatic improvements. He is also a wonderful guy, I have known him for a number of years now and I really cant say a bad thing about him.

Hello to All
First time posting here!!!
Thanks Mark for starting this thread.
Ill have pics of my test knives as soon as Francesca helps me upload them

Welcome and congratulations! Glad to have your input here

This is one of the most understatedly incredible looking knives I have ever seen! I want one.....

are we completely sure that the man in that video isn't Ron Swanson?

Back