New...and ran a search

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KHS7

Reaction score
I am taking some advice from you all and ordering some knives. I know so very little...just enough to be dangerous probably!

I did a site search and cannot find a FAQ that lists basic maintenance and sharpening techniques. I hope I did not miss something obvious.

I do not want to screw them up post haste.

Any nice compendiums? I do NOT want to do something stupid!

Thanks!

K

Welcome KHS7,

I am in a relatively new as well. For me, the best tutorial has been on youtube, John from JKI has a lot really great videos that give a fantastic overview of how to sharpen. That is where I started

Cheers,

Steve

It's possible to do worse than Jon/JKI's playlist...not sure it's possible to do better though.

Dave Martell of Japanese Knife Sharpening also has a very highly regarded DVD on sharpening.

Welcome! What knives have you picked up ?

A couple of Carbonext Kagayakis 120, 150, and a 210 gyuto.

I have never needed a large knife for the cooking I do. However, I THINK I will miss a 90mm I am not sure yet.

My burning questions are:
-how to store (a plastic covered magnet seems best...but I am so clueless)
-basic daily maintenance of the edge (stropping seems best...but see above...)
-sharpening (just see above already :D )

Standard stuff I am sure but there seems to be a LOT of misinformation out there. Is there a compendium on the forum with some links?

In the meantime, I will check the video posted...and find some crap knives on which to practice. I still need all the equipment first though!

Cheers,

K

Latest posts

Back