Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from San Diego

Greetings from San Diego

Hi folks,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster in the forum. I was first introduced to japanese kitchen knives with a shun chef's knife and a Mac santoku I bought nearly 8 years ago. Since then I've expanded my 'collection' to include a few more affordable handmade gyutos. I'm an avid home cook and especially enjoy smoking meats. I am also a professional woodworker, have tried my hand at rehandling a few knives, and have shaped out some blades as I work toward learning a bit about knifemaking. So far, I've enjoyed knives on my own, but am looking forward to sharing my enthusiasm with fellow nuts and learning from all of you, too.

Here are some photos of the first two rehandles I completed on my Tanaka 210 and Yamashin 240 gyutos:

Jeff

Welcome neighbor! Awesome looking handles, great job! Where in San Diego are you? I know there are a couple others from San Diego here as well! I live in Golden Hill near downtown and work as a cook in La Jolla. It's cool KKF can bring use knife lovers together!

Brad
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Welcome Jeff, nice looking work!
    Stay away from Mark at Burlsource and Myron at DreamBurls, those guys will make you broke!
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

Thanks for the welcome, guys. And I'll be sure to heed your warning, knyfeknerd. ...or maybe not. ;-)

Brad, where do you cook? I actually live maybe 3 minutes away from you in Fairmont Park, my back yard look over a canyon at South Park. We go to Luigi's pretty frequently and eat at Counterpoint every so often. Mostly we hang out in North and South Park. Glad to meet you here!

Welcome to KKF

FYI, if you're considering selling handles or knives please see our Terms Of Use

Thanks, Dave. I made sure I checked out the rules beforehand to be sure that as a non-seller that I could post. I've got no intention of making handles for anyone but myself, so I'm good to post photos of my work, right?

Thanks for the heads up.

If you like pizza and haven't tried Lefty's in NP I would recommend it. It's my favorite pizza place
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

welcome!
    I haven't lived the life I wanted, just the lives I needed too at the time.

Welcome and nice handles btw

Quote Originally Posted by jalanpipes View Post
    Thanks for the welcome, guys. And I'll be sure to heed your warning, knyfeknerd. ...or maybe not. ;-)
    Welcome aboard Jeff. Your handles look great. Keep on honing your skills. Mark and I will be around to tempt you as you go along.
    Please visit my store at www.dreamburls.com Imagine the possibilities!
    Email me at service@dreamburls.com
    Visit our Facebook page at www.facebook.com/dream.burls
    All sales are backed with a no questions asked money back guarantee.