Greetings from San Diego

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jalanpipes

Reaction score
Hi folks,

I'm a long time lurker and first time poster in the forum. I was first introduced to japanese kitchen knives with a shun chef's knife and a Mac santoku I bought nearly 8 years ago. Since then I've expanded my 'collection' to include a few more affordable handmade gyutos. I'm an avid home cook and especially enjoy smoking meats. I am also a professional woodworker, have tried my hand at rehandling a few knives, and have shaped out some blades as I work toward learning a bit about knifemaking. So far, I've enjoyed knives on my own, but am looking forward to sharing my enthusiasm with fellow nuts :) and learning from all of you, too.

Here are some photos of the first two rehandles I completed on my Tanaka 210 and Yamashin 240 gyutos:

6ac9784dcafba4500786f19c59a0cdd4_zps5a62aff1.jpg

e0ee7723305c406bea8a6442fbaacb45_zps7b6f6ab9.jpg

Jeff

Welcome neighbor! Awesome looking handles, great job! Where in San Diego are you? I know there are a couple others from San Diego here as well! I live in Golden Hill near downtown and work as a cook in La Jolla. It's cool KKF can bring use knife lovers together!

Brad

Welcome Jeff, nice looking work!
Stay away from Mark at Burlsource and Myron at DreamBurls, those guys will make you broke!

Thanks for the welcome, guys. And I'll be sure to heed your warning, knyfeknerd. ...or maybe not. ;-)

Brad, where do you cook? I actually live maybe 3 minutes away from you in Fairmont Park, my back yard look over a canyon at South Park. We go to Luigi's pretty frequently and eat at Counterpoint every so often. Mostly we hang out in North and South Park. Glad to meet you here!

Thanks, Dave. I made sure I checked out the rules beforehand to be sure that as a non-seller that I could post. I've got no intention of making handles for anyone but myself, so I'm good to post photos of my work, right?

Thanks for the heads up.

If you like pizza and haven't tried Lefty's in NP I would recommend it. It's my favorite pizza place:doublethumbsup:

Welcome and nice handles btw :thumbsup:

Thanks for the welcome, guys. And I'll be sure to heed your warning, knyfeknerd. ...or maybe not. ;-)

Welcome aboard Jeff. Your handles look great. Keep on honing your skills. Mark and I will be around to tempt you as you go along.

Nice to see more SD folks! :thumbsup:

Southbay. It's take me about 15 min to make it to your neck of the woods.

And then there were three. A few more and I see a meet up and barbecue in our future. I make some mean pulled pork. ;-)

Michael, I use a grill dome with a stoker wifi controller. Starting a smoke tomorrow night for dinner Thursday.

F27AAC82-E987-4A61-AB36-1147108B45B0-2772-00000133A9C2A5E4_zps355960bd.jpg

Thanks Dream Burls. I'm afraid I only have one more knife to rehandle at the moment. I guess I'll have to buy some more steel so I can make a visit to your site worthwhile. :)

Back