• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Kitchen Knife Forums and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

A few More Stones and a 240mm Will Catcheside for sale

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cwrightthruya

Reaction score
Hi All,

I have had a few more unexpected expenses, so it is with heavy heart that I continue posting some of my stone collection for sale.

Up Next:

Full reviews of both of these Aoto can be found on the following linked thread. These are both awesome specimens please see this thread: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/6345-Aoto-Shootout?highlight=

Red Aoto (8x3x 1.5"): This is one of the very first that Maxim brought in. It is quite hard and fine for an aoto, and has been sealed on both the sides and the bottom to protect the stone from cracks. Asking: $250 shipped CONUS and will split shipping outside CONUS
aotos_1.jpg

aotos.jpg

Vintage Aoto (8.75 x 2.66 x 2.5")- This is an excellent example of a vintage aoto. This was a special order, and very difficult to obtain, taking almost 1 year to procure. The last one of these I picked up was over $1,000. You can still see the chisel marks on the sides and bottom where these were mined by hand. This has been sealed on the sides and bottom to protect the stone from cracks. Asking: $750 plus paypal fee and I will cover shipping to CONUS, outside CONUS I will split shipping costs.

aotos_2.jpg

aotos_3.jpg

Will Catcheside 240mm Red Shark Gyuto: Asking $660 plus Paypal fee and Shipping.
This is a beautiful knife and an amazing cutter. I have only used it about 12 times since I bought it. It has a patina on the O1 core, but the rest of the blade and handle are in excellent condition. For full specs see this thread The first page has the original price and specs and the following page has more photos: http://www.kitchenknifeforums.com/showthread.php/9083-Catcheside-Cutlery-Knives-available/page4

aotos_1.jpg

Fascinating, Chris. The vintage Aoto - any idea how long it had been in use before you puchased it? Is there more of a story behind it?

About the red aoto - you mention it was one of the first. From what you know, do you feel it is in line with the others sold on JNS? (I have one, and it's great). Or do you feel that this specimen is somehow superior to others? I haven't read opinions on variations in red aoto quality, so don't know if this is an issue. Just wondering if this one somehow stands out.

Just wanted to second Chris' opinion of the Catchside Gyuto. I have the 200 mm version of the knife and it is an amazing cutter. Almost nothing sticks to it.

Ohira Shiro (pure white) Renge Suita. I will get photos up this evening or tomorrow, but this is a beautiful stone and incredibly fast and fine. It is in between a type 24 and type 30. Asking $1500 shipped CONUS.

Fascinating, Chris. The vintage Aoto - any idea how long it had been in use before you puchased it? Is there more of a story behind it?

About the red aoto - you mention it was one of the first. From what you know, do you feel it is in line with the others sold on JNS? (I have one, and it's great). Or do you feel that this specimen is somehow superior to others? I haven't read opinions on variations in red aoto quality, so don't know if this is an issue. Just wondering if this one somehow stands out.
I do not doubt it is, mine was, IFAIK, the first ever that Max got and works like a charm.

It actually is better, as Mainaman already said. I had 2 specimens, 1 was the Second stone Maxim got in (after Mainaman) and the other about 4 months later, after Maxim started selling them off to everyone. The earlier stone was beautiful in every way, and worked tremendously efficiently, while the second was still an excellent stone, it just did not make me as happy when I used it (if that makes any sense whatsoever).

This is the better of the 2 specimens. I just wanted to clarify ;)

That gyuto is beautiful. Wish I could swing it. That itinomonn I got from you is great, but not great for work. It makes making dinner more fun though

I am going to drop the price of the red aoto down to $220 shipped CONUS and the Vintage aoto down to $695 shipped CONUS.

Man, I really want that red aoto. Just out of the price range...

Red Aoto SPF
Green Aoto and Catcheside 240 Gyuto still available.

Final price drop on the vintage aoto. This is an excellent stone, and most likely the cheapest "vintage" aoto you will run across that still produces a great finish. $650 shipped CONUS

incredible stones! would like to see the pic of the renge suita even it is sold!

luckily im ignoring this thread otherwise id be broke but own that aoto... your passing along not only a great deal but a rare commodity.
goodluck finding a taker.

Your stone collection continues to blow my mind...and to think that this is just what you're selling....

Exactly, guys. Chris may have a few money problems now, as he has said, and so is selling things he never wanted to sell. But this can cause money problems for the rest of us, too. Unless you can ignore....

Price drop on the Catcheside to $620 shipped CONUS.
I have not sharpened or thinned this blade. It is a great cutter and has only been used a handful of times.

Bump: To Recap: Vintage Aoto: $575 Shipped Conus
Will Catcheside Retracted...Maybe later ;)

If you decide to re-list the Will Catcheside gyuto....

Please let me know :)

Thx

I need some quick sales so I am going to do a difficult drop for me on the Vintage aoto to $475 shipped CONUS, all others pay actual shipping.

Back