new JCK line, stainless WA Gyutos

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
At 60 HRC and with lightly printed kanji and I think they're closer to overpriced than "very cheap".

I dunno. If they are well ground and finished, could be a good value but yeah, I wouldn't say they are particularly inexpensive.

They remind me a lot of our beloved sakai yusukes. I wish Koki posted choil shots of the knives so we could examine the grind a bit.

They look very similar to Sakai Yusuke, aren't there also a line under the same brand made by Fujiwara Terayasu? Could be a re- branded Yusuke

the fu rin ka zan brand is a JCK house brand with 3 different lines, one of which being white steel stainless clad line that fujiwara terayasu is involved with.

if only the look was a little better then maybe the price would be justified. will it be a great hit? in terms of performance? hopefully someone gets one and reviews it or does a passaround.

=D

sheesh...i guess we all have our own ideas of value and bargains, dont we? i kinda wish there were more variations in profiles between makers of lasers, i know there are some minor differences but they are pretty hard to notice in photographs.

they could look completely identical hell even in person, yet as soon as you put it on the board profile differences are night and day. even between multiple copies of the same frigging model/length knives.

i consider myself a pretty novice sharpener, and i have a feeling eventually all my knives will have the same profile from the way i sharpen. does that sound logical?

saw that, speaking of, i hope i get in on that fuji tera passaround. profile and finish look similar to the tanaka ginsanko

youre definitely on to something there panda. Lasers all look so similar but konosukes have more curve than others and suisin inox honyakis feel taller too.

Taking a look at the specs from JCK and Blueway, it seems like the knives are pretty similar. Furinkazan line runs a bit shorter and very slightly heavier.

For the 240 suji (JCK - Blueway):
Spine thickness (mm): 2.4 - 2.2
Cutting edge length (mm): 230 - 240
Total Length (mm): 385 - 375
Weight (g): 106 - 100

Gents, I removed the off topic posts in this thread. Please feel free to disagree- but there is no reason to do so disagreeably.

Agree, it smells of Sakai Yusuke... and that ain't a bad smell at all...

What's wrong with machi gaps? I rather like the look on a laser.

All I can say is when JCK puts out new product that isn't vg10, I'm happy to see it....they really love vg10.

if only the look was a little better then maybe the price would be justified. will it be a great hit? in terms of performance? hopefully someone gets one and reviews it or does a passaround.=D
Gents, I removed the off topic posts in this thread. Please feel free to disagree- but there is no reason to do so disagreeably.

Well done. How what was said in the first comment here, by Franz, caused such a reaction from one other member and led to a mod to step in I'll never know. But it was completely out of line.

What's wrong with machi gaps? I rather like the look on a laser.

All I can say is when JCK puts out new product that isn't vg10, I'm happy to see it....they really love vg10.
i know the gaps dont bother alot of people, but theyre pretty uncomfortable for me.

thigh-gap-1.jpg

Any new info about this?
Blade material specifics, other than Sweden Stainless?

Looks very nice to me with decent price.

E-mail Koki. He will help you out.
It's right in line with the Sakai-produced Swedish stainless wa-gyutos -
Sakai Yusuke, Ashi Ginga, Konosuke HH, etc etc.
Given the division of labor system in Sakai, you could guess that the forging could occur at the same place.

I ordered a 180mm petty off Koki about a week ago after accidentally noticing the line on his website. The knife looked perfect for a specific task I have in mind. Then I noticed this series of posts today. Rc 60 sounds plenty hard enough for any working knife to me. If it gets dull I certainly know how to sharpen it.

they could look completely identical hell even in person, yet as soon as you put it on the board profile differences are night and day. even between multiple copies of the same frigging model/length knives.

I own a Sakai Yusuke 240mm Stainless.
I own a Konosuke HH 240mm.
The Sakai Yusuke has a slightly thicker but shorter handle, and the blade is about 2mm shorter. Otherwise, I cannot tell them apart. The profiles are almost identical. The spine thickness is identical. The grind is almost IDENTICAL. That's because the left side of the blade is flat except for very slight curvature immediately above the bevel whereas the right side of the blade is convex ground. If it weren't for the different handles and the names of the blade, I would be at a loss to differentiate between two equally performing lasers.

The photo is deceiving because the blades are slightly at angles. But they are sooooooo similar. If you overlay one blade on top of the other, they are essentially the same on the cutting edge.

CH4A0632.jpg

Back