Quantcast
Staub or Le Creuset? Post some of your favorite recipes! - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Staub or Le Creuset? Post some of your favorite recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by so_sleepy View Post
    I have been using my stub 5.5qt for baking bread a lot recently. I think Le Creucet still have a polymer knob on the lid that has to be removed if you are baking at high heat.
    Replace the knob with a stainless one:

http://www.amazon.com/Creuset-L9403-...9157017&sr=8-1

Quote Originally Posted by crizq0 View Post

What do you use? What size do you like?
    I have a Lodge Logic that is one-quarter the price of either a Staub or Le Creuset. As far as I can tell, it works the same.

http://www.amazon.com/Lodge-EC6D43-E...9157106&sr=1-1

The food pics in this thread are amazing.

I love my three Le Creusets in 2 3/4 qt, 4.5 qt, and 7 qt. Use them for absolutely anything, from making small batches of stocks to French onion soup, braised short ribs, chili, and all-day bolognese. As another poster referenced, I like being about to see the fond development and make sure that I'm not at the burning stage yet, and the white enamel helps in that regard.

I also use a glass topped stove, and as long as you don't drop your Dutch oven on the top and crack the elements, it works just fine!

I've heard a lot of good things about Staub, but I can't imagine being happier with anything than Le Creuset. I have an au gratin pan than I bought in 1975 that still looks new, and I'd be lost without one of their dutch ovens.
    I really am related to Tony Clifton.

We've got a stack of Le Creuset, and use them for soups, braises and sauce. Braised lamb shanks cooked similary to osso buco are awesome. We braised a venison roast the same way a couple weeks ago that rocked (used a mushroom stock instead of chicken or beef, and added a lot of wine).

I have a Staub 12" skillet and a 12" square grill pan coming tomorrow. Their web site says you can season them with veggie oil but they also recommend washing them with detergent. Anybody have any experience with this?
    It is better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to open your mouth and remove all doubt.

We got a LC, the points added up on one of our credit cards. When we looked at the options, they had a $100 card for Bed, Bath and Beyond. We got two cards and paid like $8 for the (I think) 5.5 Qt round.

I use it all the time, last night was braised pork blade roast (Asian flavors), with Jasmin rice. The ju that was created was packed with flavor. This was our first nice dutch oven and I remember wanting to make something special for its first bake, braised lamb shanks. From braises, soups and boiling, it looks cooked in with the patina.

Quote Originally Posted by deanb View Post
    I have a Staub 12" skillet and a 12" square grill pan coming tomorrow. Their web site says you can season them with veggie oil but they also recommend washing them with detergent. Anybody have any experience with this?
    The Staub pots and pans are not like your regular cast-iron pans. You do NOT want to build up a crusty interior as you would in a Lodge frying pan -- wash them well after every use.

See this page from the Staub website: READ ME
    Last edited by FryBoy; 03-03-2011 at 01:58 PM.
    Doug Collins
    Hermosa Beach, California

I do not season with oil. I've had some of my le creuset pans for at least 10 years. Some of the interiors have gotten scratched (cooking dry beans does a number on the interior for some reason - I'm thinking the fine grit abrades the interior) but I wash my Le Creuset pots and pans with dishwashing soap until clean after use. For stubborn interior stains, I use liquid barkeeper's friend. For stubborn exterior stains, I use powder barkeeper's friend.
    I too have chosen le creuset over staub because the interior of le creuset pans are lighter and you can see the color of the fond when sauteeing or searing. But, I've read that staub is excellent. I'm hoping to buy one soon.

+ Reply to Thread