Quantcast
Staub or Le Creuset? Post some of your favorite recipes! - Page 3
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Staub or Le Creuset? Post some of your favorite recipes!

Quote Originally Posted by mhlee View Post
    cooking dry beans does a number on the interior for some reason
    that's what caused my first enammeled cast iron to be returned. not only everything started sticking but the whole interior surface had hairlines cracks. always thought it was a fluke

We lived next to a Le Creuset Seconds Outlet for a while, and amassed quite a collection of "damaged" products. Like our 9.5 quart, that has an uneven enamel on the underside of one handle. For being "defective", that things cooks pretty friggin' good!

We do cassoulet, stews, posole, bolognese, pulled pork (sorry, no smoker), bread, soups, ribs, casserole ... Now that I'm thinking about it, I think without my dutch ovens my cooking repertoire would be reduced by an easy third! Can't comment on the relative price of the two, but the Staubs I've seen have been pretty pricey. Then again, so is retail on the LCs... You might want to check out that outlet option, you know?

Back in the late '80's & early '90's there was both an outlet/2nds store for LeCruset & AllClad over in Flemington, NJ that we used to peruse a few times a year. This was back when outlets were really outlets for 2nds and we picked up a lot of great steals (I mean deals) over the years. Most all have just slight cosmetic flaws but work perfectly and the flaws have to be pointed out to see them. I couldn't touch these same pots and pans today even in the new updated outlet stores over in the same town, just too pricey for me. I'm glad I scored what I did when I did, one of the few smart moves I ever made.

Hey Dave,

Actually we got that second from the one in Flemington. It was listed on clearance at 175, and the guy was doing additional scratch off cards. I got one that was 10% but my wife got one that was 45%! Needless to say, we used that one. One of the better deals we've ever gotten. But then again, we went during the Winter doldrums (Feb or March) and the entire outlet area was deathly quiet. The guy was nice, but real disappointed we didn't buy more. Got the feeling the store was hurting bad.

I've got a 3.5, 4.5, 5.5 and a 7.25 qt round LC and a 5.75 coq au vin cocotte Staub. Some people complain about LC staining on the interior. I just look at it as a patina. You won't find any cooking performance difference between Staub or LC. I've got flat top electric stove that works just fine, just expect these things to take a little longer to come up to temp. I guess you could speed things up and turn the dial up to high, but I never go over med, med-hi. With cast iron I'd rather creep up on my optimum cooking temperature. I'm never in that big of a hurry.

I think it comes down to what colors you like best and the price. Staub's colors are more richer looking and LC's colors are more, I don't know, plain looking although they have some pretty off-beat colors.

Quote Originally Posted by bprescot View Post
    Hey Dave,

Actually we got that second from the one in Flemington. It was listed on clearance at 175, and the guy was doing additional scratch off cards. I got one that was 10% but my wife got one that was 45%! Needless to say, we used that one. One of the better deals we've ever gotten. But then again, we went during the Winter doldrums (Feb or March) and the entire outlet area was deathly quiet. The guy was nice, but real disappointed we didn't buy more. Got the feeling the store was hurting bad.
    Sounds like you scored a great deal that day Ben.

Is this the store on main street? I haven't been to this one yet. We used to go to it when it was over by the RR tracks (stand alone building), it was a mess of a store actually, but full of treasures.

I got a LC 7qt oval from the local LC outlet. When I got home I found that the bottom was not curved concave but convex. When using it on gas top I imagine that does not matter, but if using a glass top it would not be very efficient. Returned it the next day.

So, if going for the outlet version, then make sure it does not have any unwanted defects...

Ended up getting a 5.5qt Staub. Made a Pot Roast (stracotto???) with porcini mushrooms.

If you guys have any more recipes to make stews, soups, or roasts. Please post them or send them my way.

I'm looking for a boeuf bourguignon recipe. Probably the julia child's one unless somebody has a better version of it.

Nice! I'm glad you got the staub. Julia's recipe is good, I have bourdain's which is a bit simpler. If you want I will post a few tomorrow ... gotta sleep

Quote Originally Posted by obtuse View Post
    I'd say get a Staub 5 quart round. That's the most useful size and staub makes an awesome product. Me favorite recipe? I cook everything from chili con carne to blanquette de veau. I would suggest you get All About Braising by Molly Stevens, it's a great book with great recipes and techniques.
    Love that book I have 7 dutch ovens, most cast iron, and one enameled 6qt I think. It is just on the large size for 3 people but works very well for acidic reductions. I use the cast iron Lodges for everything else.