Quantcast
edge in pro kitchen
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: edge in pro kitchen

edge in pro kitchen

Hi guys. I am wondering how long can you use your knifes after proper sharpening in the pro kitchen where you cut aprox 120-140kg of meat and vegies per week? I am asking because there is a discussion on the other forum where a pro chef who lives in japan is saying that he is sharpening knife once in 1,5 month. He is not steeling or stropping between sharpening sessions.

I have to sharpen every 3 days minimum, preferably a quick touch up every night. I don't steel my knives, but I do occasionally strop on my wooden cutting board if I notice it is losing its edge.

Quote Originally Posted by bathonuk View Post
    Hi guys. I am wondering how long can you use your knifes after proper sharpening in the pro kitchen where you cut aprox 120-140kg of meat and vegies per week? I am asking because there is a discussion on the other forum where a pro chef who lives in japan is saying that he is sharpening knife once in 1,5 month. He is not steeling or stropping between sharpening sessions.
    You can definitely sharpen your knife every 1.5 times a month. Or 3 months. or 5 months., or 3 days. It all depends on how sharp you want your knife to be.

Charlotte, NC AKA The Queen City! The lint-filled belly button of the south.
    Yeah, I'm sure the knife is super sharp after a month and a half.
    Some people's idea of sharp is a lot different than mine.............
    ....and vice versa.
    If "Its" and "Buts" was candy and nuts, we'd all have a Merry Christmas
    -Cleon "Slammin'" Salmon

I've gone two months without even a touch up before, just steel and strop so it's doable, just gotta have technique that doesn't ruin your edges.

Ideally, I'd sharpen my knives once a week if I could be arsed/had time. After about that time I use my Mac rod so it ends up about 3 or 4 weeks

wyoming, closer to nowhere than somewhere.
    It depends on the amount of prep I am doing, or if I am on the line. But I usually rotate my knives about once a week. If they start to even see some dulling I switch it out. When I get more than 4 knives I will go to sharpening.

With that much meat and veggies I can see going with that long. It also matters what he is cutting, fish vs. cow is a huge difference. Onions vs. squash is a huge difference too.
    Chewie's the man.

I sharpen at least once a week. Everyday if I have time. I like my knives charp!
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

I sharpen once a week and touch up every day.

Ok so this guy gave my an example that when he bought Masakage Koishi 240 he sharpened after two months for the first time and then aprox every 1.5months.
    Is it possible that edge will last that long without touching up?? Let's say that this guy have proper technique of cutting.