Quantcast
edge in pro kitchen - Page 2
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: edge in pro kitchen

I had that exact knife and sold it to a co worker, sharpened it when i gave it to him and he went about 4 months and the thing was still sharper than some blades i see.

Depends on the steel on both Mario and Markos knives I got about a month without touching up, almost 3 months before resharpening. This is with heavy prep. With my konosuke every 4 days. With masamoto ks every shift

I would say it could last that long if you used a diamond honing steel... But I just can't bring myself to touch my babies on one of those.
    "A recipe has no soul. You as the cook must bring soul to the recipe." -Thomas Keller

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Gibson View Post
    I would say it could last that long if you used a diamond honing steel... But I just can't bring myself to touch my babies on one of those.
    Yes stay away fr. those diamond honing steels esp. wt. Japan knives.

i sharpen my ginga white #2 every night, but i could get away with less i'm sure. i have the time and want my knife as sharp as can be. daily maintenance is on a gesshin 4k stone, i go through the 2k and 4k a couple times a week. i like to make sure the entire blade sticks into my thumbnail before every shift because i do about 8 hours of knife work a day, all veg.

I sharpen roughly every 3 weeks but I strop on leather every night. I can push cut tomatoes and I can slice protein with no struggle at 2 weeks. Lately using konosuke white 2 240 gyuto.

Quote Originally Posted by kpeddie2010 View Post
    I sharpen roughly every 3 weeks but I strop on leather every night. I can push cut tomatoes and I can slice protein with no struggle at 2 weeks. Lately using konosuke white 2 240 gyuto.
    I used that blade alot,turned it into a single bevel,good for peeling fruits & veg. great pineapple knife.Heavy usage in Gardemanger,touch it up at least twice a week.you must keep a strop at work

i used to use a Hattori KD gyuto for my prep/line knife and can get it very sharp.The edge retention on these are pretty good but even then, i needed to at least touch it up every 2 or 3 days if i needed to shave chives or do some delicate knife work. The longest i have ever gone without sharpening or touching up/steeling/stropping was about 2 weeks to test edge retention. the knife still cuts really well for general use but it couldnt handle shaving chives or even slicing crusty proteins cleanly anymore. Even at that point all it ussually needed was to steel(i used to use ceramic) or strop and it would be perfect for the day as long as i did the delicate stuff first. Did this for about 3 months when i just didnt have time to sharpen my knives when i got home pulling 12-14 hour shifts. And this was at a 2 michellin star restaurant so we were not really cutting anything in volume although a lot fine detail work for the garnishes.

I strop and steel just out of habit but have let knives go before just to see how long they will last. That sad Burke Suji and Butch western Deba are two knives that got used every day for over a year without anything but stroping. The restaurant I was at did 1200+ covers a night, if that gives you any idea of the amount of use they get. Butch's Deba goes threw bone and skin all day long, keeps its edge and has never chipted. Bills suji could not keep going threw that for a year, but we are Comparing a Deba that's 3/8" thick at the spine to a suji that's super thin.

Sponsors
    The Japanese chefs i talked too sharpened they knives every day, when i worked as chef i sharpened every 3 days. But i also had many knives in rotation.

+ Reply to Thread