Quantcast
Pride in your knife =
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pride in your knife =

Pride in your knife =

I was at a local sushi restaurant last night, with my wife. It is one of those passably good "all you can eats". It's definitely worlds apart from a Korean/Japanese I went to last week, but still not bad to quench my craving.
    Halfway through the dinner we were given a beautifully sliced and very nicely presented plate of salmon sashimi.
    I took a closer look at the chef and he was busy making sauces. I looked to his left, and there was a teenager cutting away to make order after order.
    When there was finally some down time, the young guy walked to the back and grabbed a 1k, a 6k and a piece of heavy cardboard. He began to sharpen his knife, off to the side instea of taking a few minute break like everyone else.
    I went up and chit chatted to discover he was using a Suisin 300mm Shiro-niko yanagi.
    I learned he's a super nice kid, with a huge passion for knives who wants to learn some skills at a joint like the one I was in, and then start all over at a well respected restaurant. I thought this was really cool and his knife was just beautiful! AND over a month's worth of wages for him.
    The funny thing was, when I realized how much he cared about his knife, it explained why the food was getting better as we were there longer- he was making it, instead of the chef!
    Do you agree that often, pride in your knife and knife skills = a quality chef?
    09/06

Take a look around at: www.sharpandshinyshop.com

Email me at: tmclean@sharpandshinyshop.com

I think it's pride in your work that makes the difference, and that it is reflected both in terms of knife care and food preparation (of which knife skills is a part).
    Len

I would rather say pride in what you serve = a quality chef. Cause he has pride in what he wants to present to the customer, therefore he invests in a good knife and takes time to learn and perfect his knife skills. I think that kid will go far. Get his name dude.. He may be the next Nobu or Morimoto for all you know.

Good call! Haha.
    It was really refreshing to see, and he knew RIGHT AWAY, when I asked about his knife, what I cared to know!
    Another funny thing was that it looked almost like a 330mm in his hands, but it was a 300.
    I'm 95 percent sure this is his knife:
    http://korin.com/Suisin-Saika-Kengata-Yanagi
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    Another funny thing was that it looked almost like a 330mm in his hands, but it was a 300.
    I get that all the time.. My 240 looks like a 270 in my hands. Maybe that's cause I'm smaller in size then most would expect working in a kitchen.

Sounds like my kind of guy!

Go back there, and tell the management that you like his food best! If he's not there, ask for him.

I'm actually thinking of Getting his name an mentioning him to the "good" one in town (by good I mean mouth orgasm).
    I just might do what you suggested, doughy. A little bit of recognition is always a great thing.
    09/06

Quote Originally Posted by Lefty View Post
    I'm actually thinking of Getting his name an mentioning him to the "good" one in town (by good I mean mouth orgasm).
    I just might do what you suggested, doughy. A little bit of recognition is always a great thing.
    Can be a double edge knife, recognition. I've peers who have won a few competitions and worked in a few high-end places who get too arrogant to continue learning. Depends on the mindset really. But getting his name mentioned to a good chef in a better working environment should do something for his prospects.

This is probably something that is more true in a sushi joint than it would be in a say, Italian joint. Pride in your work is probably more accurate, but when your work involves a lot of precise cutting, it manifests as pride in your knives.

Pride in your knives = pride in your knifework = pride in your food = better chef.
    Having the sharpest knife and the best knife skills won't make or break you but its damn important. It details that tells the difference between average and awesome.

+ Reply to Thread