Fun Suji to try out?

Kitchen Knife Forums

Help Support Kitchen Knife Forums:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dubh

Reaction score
I've had CN 240mm suji for about a month but i ended up selling it to one of my coworkers... Not that i didn't like it (great knife btw, although it was my first suji), he just really wanted it after trying it out one day. and since his birthday was coming up, i just sold it to him pretty cheap... lol... n gave me an excuse to get another knife!!!

so, I would like to ask you which one's are your favorites. Few knives i have on my mind are...

Kikuich TKC... but are they really like the CN? I've held one of my coworkers older (6-7 yrs) Tkc suji and the handle felt little blocky?

Kono HD 240mm... but is it too short? 270 perhaps? I've always wished CN suji was 1cm longer... which got me thinking...

Masamoto KS 240mm... someone from KF mentioned this knife when i was searching for my first suji (CadillacJ i think), is this one good for multi-task? lengthwise i think it's perfect for me.

any other one's i should look into?

thnx in advance!

you can try bluwayjapn's white2 or swedish stainless Sakai Yusuke.

I was acutally checking em out... it's interesting how their specs so different though...

w2
• Brand---Sakai Ichimonji-Kichikuni(hand engraved on blade in Kanji)
• Edge---Yasuki ShiroKou(Shirogami)No.2(White No.2 Steel) made from iron-sand/Hitachi Metal LTD.
• Blade---Double-beveled three layered construction
Fully forged and hand crafted
• Handle---Hou Wood(Magnolia) with buffalo horn collar
• Blade Length---235mm(9.3")/from tip to heel
• Total Length---380mm(15")
• Thickness of pine---3mm(0.12") above heel
• Weight---140gr(4.9oz)

SS
• Brand---Sakai Yusuke
• Blade--- Double-Beveled Swedish Stainless Steel
• Handle---Octagon Hou Wood(Magnolia) with buffalo horn collar
• Blade Length---240mm(9.4")/from tip to handle
• Total Length---375mm(14.8")
• Spine Thickness---2.3mm/at heel
• Weight---100gr(3.5oz)

I love the idea of a 240. That konosuke would likely be SWEET!

I've got a 270mm Ashi suji. I bought it to use a slicer, but I thought it a shame not to use it more. So I just use it like a "low rider" guyto. The FnF is perfect, easy to put an edge on it and it cuts like a dream.

I picked up an Ashi 150 petty and the suji about the same time and found that I loved the slender profile so much I added a Kono 210 petty/suji to round out my skinny collection.

I was acutally checking em out... it's interesting how their specs so different though...

w2
• Brand---Sakai Ichimonji-Kichikuni(hand engraved on blade in Kanji)
• Edge---Yasuki ShiroKou(Shirogami)No.2(White No.2 Steel) made from iron-sand/Hitachi Metal LTD.
• Blade---Double-beveled three layered construction
Fully forged and hand crafted
• Handle---Hou Wood(Magnolia) with buffalo horn collar
• Blade Length---235mm(9.3")/from tip to heel
• Total Length---380mm(15")
• Thickness of pine---3mm(0.12") above heel
• Weight---140gr(4.9oz)

SS
• Brand---Sakai Yusuke
• Blade--- Double-Beveled Swedish Stainless Steel
• Handle---Octagon Hou Wood(Magnolia) with buffalo horn collar
• Blade Length---240mm(9.4")/from tip to handle
• Total Length---375mm(14.8")
• Spine Thickness---2.3mm/at heel
• Weight---100gr(3.5oz)

Sakai is the city (near Osaka) where both those makers/brands are located. Sakai Ichimonji-Kichikuni and Sakai Yusuke are different companies. The Sakai Yusuke sujis and gyutos come in both White#2 and Swedish Stainless - the dimensions in either steel are identical.

The Yusukes are virtually indistinguishable in the corresponding lines from Ashi Hamono or Konosuke Sakai, ie a Yusuke Swedish Stainless Wa-gyuto is pretty much a clone of the Ashi Ginga Swedish or Konosuke Swedish.

Hey Seb, have you tried Yusuke suji? if so can you pls tell me how the handle is? Only other wa handle i can really compare it to is A-type 240mm gyuto, which felt just a lil thick for me.

I really like the spec on this suji... and only 100 grams!!! and seems like it's not as short as other wa suji's... full 240mm. I like the profile as well. lil on flat side than my old CN. ONly thing is it will take 2weeks to get here...

Strangely not many yo-handled suji users? wonder why...?

Hey Seb, have you tried Yusuke suji? if so can you pls tell me how the handle is? Only other wa handle i can really compare it to is A-type 240mm gyuto, which felt just a lil thick for me.

I only have the Wa-gyuto. But if you email the seller (Keiichi) or message him on ebay, he would be happy I am sure to send you some pictures and measurements. He usually takes 2-3 days to reply.

Thanx for the info, i just sent him an email.
I have one really noobish question for you though.

What makes them near identical? (Yusuke, Ashi, and Konosuke) is it because they are from the same city, Sakai? that they share same technic, material, etc? or are they from same masters? Just really curious.
Or is this the "typical" way of make sujihiki or gyuto?

In Japan, it's not unusual for makers to keep a close eye on each other and adopt/copy each other's innovations. For example, I am told that Ashi-san (of Ashi Hamono) is famous in Sakai for the quality and consistency of his products so other makers try and emulate him.

For example, if you look closely at the handle and bolster design of the western-handled lines of Ashi, Yusuke, Konosuke, Kikuichi Performance and Ikkanshi Tadatsuna, as well as the SSG line sold by Sakai Ichimonji, you will see that they are nearly identical.

Back